ASIA/SINGAPORE - "Time of compassion": Archbishop Goh’s message for Lent
Singapore (Agenzia Fides) - "Lent teaches us how to live the love and compassion of Christ. In his ministry on earth, Jesus expressed God's love to the needy, the sick, the lepers. His mercy culminated on the cross, when Christ forgave his enemies and offered his life": This is the message issued for Lent by the Archbishop of Singapore, His Exc. Mgr. William Goh. In the text, sent to Fides, Mgr. Goh asks the faithful "to be moved by the suffering of others, the poor, the marginalized, those who are ostracized by society. May the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all".
The Archbishop describes "Lent as a season of opportunity for 'metanoia', which means a change of mind and heart". "Our internal renewal - he continues - makes us grasp the immense mystery of the Father's love for us: He wants to be one with us. This desire of God to be close to us is expressed in his incarnation at Christmas and finds its perfect fulfillment in the Paschal Mystery".
"In Christ – explains the message - God revealed himself as love. It is love in its most extreme form. God showed his compassion for humanity through the incarnation of Christ. Through this solidarity we have all become brothers and sisters in Christ".
The Archbishop adds: "Thanks to our baptismal vocation as Christians, we are, by extension, the hands and feet of Christ in this world. Extending compassion for others, our humanity grows in fullness. It is time, therefore, that the Church, once again, is a Church of mercy and compassion: a sacrament of God's mercy and compassion in Christ".
Recalling the importance of prayer, fasting and almsgiving, the Archbishop concluded: "I pray that this Lenten season leads us to a true conversion of heart and mind. May the love and tenderness of Christ fill us with compassion and love, so that we can be a visible sign of his love and mercy in the world". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2015-03-24 - A missionary: "Lee Kuan Yew, a man of dialogue and religious harmony"
- 2014-10-09 - "May the elections on 12 October bear positive fruits" hope the Bishops
- 2014-09-22 - Archbishop Goh: "The centrality of the family to overcome secularization"
- 2014-05-19 - year plan for the Church: God's Word at the center and New Evangelization
- 2014-04-16 - Archbishop Goh: Easter invites us to "proclaim the Gospel with joy and passion"
- 2014-03-07 - "Time of compassion": Archbishop Goh’s message for Lent
- 2014-02-18 - Archbishop Goh: "Sanctify work with prayer"
- 2014-01-10 - "Accompanying and evangelizing young people" : Archbishop Goh’s Message
- 2013-07-26 - The "social WYD" Christian Baptists, in communion with the Pope in Rio
- 2013-05-21 - "Spirituality of communion": the new Archbishop’s manifesto