ASIA/SINGAPORE - The "social WYD" Christian Baptists, in communion with the Pope in Rio
Singapore (Agenzia Fides) - As the Pope is in Rio de Janeiro with young Catholics from around the world for "World Youth Day", on the other side of the globe, the young Christians of the Baptist Church gather in Singapore for the XVI World Conference which has brought together more than 2,000 young people in the small Asian nation. As stated in a note from the World Council of Churches (WCC) sent to Fides, the event is in full communion and harmony with World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro, mainly because the central themes of the assembly are "justice and peace" and the contribution that new generations can give in this area. The event, organized by the "Baptist World Alliance" (BWA) and by WCC, has given young people the opportunity of "a spiritual encounter with the living Christ, through a vibrant worship, the proclamation of Scripture, formation and the sharing of experiences", explains the note. And was characterized by an approach called "social", where young people were invited to use new technologies and "social network". The ideas and the prayers expressed were immediately shared with other young people in the world through Facebook and Twitter.
In one of several seminars, entitled "Why peace? Who does justice belong to?" Young Baptists reaffirmed that " it is necessary to commit oneself to justice and peace". The young people met in preparation for the General Assembly of WCC to be held from 30 October to 8 November in Busan, South Korea, on the theme "God of life, lead us to justice and peace". Young Christian Baptists gave an "important testimony of joy" through various activities that taught them how they can effectively commit themselves in the life of their respective communities. "Love, help, solidarity towards the people around us are part of the efforts of the Churches towards justice and peace", they stressed. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2014-05-19 - year plan for the Church: God's Word at the center and New Evangelization
- 2014-04-16 - Archbishop Goh: Easter invites us to "proclaim the Gospel with joy and passion"
- 2014-03-07 - "Time of compassion": Archbishop Goh’s message for Lent
- 2014-02-18 - Archbishop Goh: "Sanctify work with prayer"
- 2014-01-10 - "Accompanying and evangelizing young people" : Archbishop Goh’s Message
- 2013-07-26 - The "social WYD" Christian Baptists, in communion with the Pope in Rio
- 2013-05-21 - "Spirituality of communion": the new Archbishop’s manifesto
- 2012-10-16 - An orphanage in Laos and a school in Vietnam: two projects for disadvantaged children
- 2012-05-26 - Pentecost: a "Spring of the Spirit" for the new evangelization
- 2011-09-17 - The Christians to the new President: it is urgent to stop human trafficking