AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Rosa Chavez, in his usual press conference on Sunday, said that on Tuesday 29 April he had participated in the meeting with the minister of justice and public safety to take stock of the new process of national reconciliation.
According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Rosa Chavez said the meeting reaffirmed, inter alia, that the process will have to be "transparent and inclusive", while another meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 6. The Archbishop said: "It is an effort that deserves support. We cannot continue to bury young people in our country every day. This is why we need to change many things, there is much to do". He also pointed out that when the Bishops will have decided to officially participate in the process, as Episcopal Conference, then the form of participation will be agreed upon, as bishops, as Church. "What must be clear is that this time it is not an effort by the government, but is an independent initiative" of groups, communities, NGOs ... said the Archbishop.
El Salvador has been living in a climate of harsh violence for a long time, caused by gangs and organized crime that fight for the control of the drug market, using the young and petty criminals living in populated areas and who are recruited on the street or in prisons. An attempt to stop these violent and deadly clashes has been carried out by the community and by the Church, but with meager results (see Fides 15/05/2013). The increase of violent deaths has caused social reaction in order to stop this daily violence. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/05/2014)
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Romero: a guiding light for sustainable development and social justice in Central America
- 2015-09-21 - Mgr. Escobar Alas denounces: "The new tax will in particular hit low-income families"
- 2015-09-09 - "Problems are not solved with demonstrations, but with good will" said Mgr. Escobar
- 2015-08-17 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Crowds of faithful gather to commemorate the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero
- 2015-08-10 - 16 murders a day, the church launches an appeal to stop violence
- 2015-08-10 - The Holy Father's concern for the violence in El Salvador
- 2015-08-01 - No negotiating with gangs in the plan for National Security
- 2015-06-27 - Mgr. Romero Romero is recognized as "Son Meritísimo of El Salvador"
- 2015-06-03 - Dengue fever mainly affects school age children
- 2015-06-01 - "The numbers of murders are manipulated in order to create chaos", denounces Mgr. Rosa Chavez