AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Rosa Chavez, in his usual press conference on Sunday, said that on Tuesday 29 April he had participated in the meeting with the minister of justice and public safety to take stock of the new process of national reconciliation.
According to the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Rosa Chavez said the meeting reaffirmed, inter alia, that the process will have to be "transparent and inclusive", while another meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 6. The Archbishop said: "It is an effort that deserves support. We cannot continue to bury young people in our country every day. This is why we need to change many things, there is much to do". He also pointed out that when the Bishops will have decided to officially participate in the process, as Episcopal Conference, then the form of participation will be agreed upon, as bishops, as Church. "What must be clear is that this time it is not an effort by the government, but is an independent initiative" of groups, communities, NGOs ... said the Archbishop.
El Salvador has been living in a climate of harsh violence for a long time, caused by gangs and organized crime that fight for the control of the drug market, using the young and petty criminals living in populated areas and who are recruited on the street or in prisons. An attempt to stop these violent and deadly clashes has been carried out by the community and by the Church, but with meager results (see Fides 15/05/2013). The increase of violent deaths has caused social reaction in order to stop this daily violence. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/05/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - Poverty exacerbates the living conditions of HIV-positive children
- 2015-03-24 - "Young people want to know more about Romero"
- 2015-03-12 - "The saint of all El Salvador" - beatification of Mgr. Romero on 23 May
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected
- 2014-10-07 - The Church welcomes the initiative of the Council of National Security