AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress
La Tecla (Agenzia Fides) - The Cuban Cardinal Jaime Ortega, Special Envoy of Pope Francis at the V National Eucharistic Congress in El Salvador, asked the canonization of Mgr. Oscar Romero.
"We ask the Lord the honor of the altars for him (Mgr. Romero)", said the Archbishop of Havana in his homily during the celebration held at a sports complex in Santa Tecla (near the capital San Salvador) in the presence of thousands of faithful.
The Eucharist celebrated on Sunday, August 11, was not only the closure of the V National Eucharistic Congress, but also the closure of the Centenary of the Archdiocese of San Salvador, and of the Dioceses of Santa Ana and San Miguel.
According to the note sent to Fides, the celebration saw the presence of the Archbishop of Tegucigalpa, Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez, the local bishops and other Central American countries; dozens of priests and seminarians, and thousands of lay faithful expressed joy and enthusiasm when they heard the name of Mgr. Romero. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/08/2013)
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
- 2014-07-03 - 1,512 suspected cases of chikungunya in addition to 5,698 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2014-05-20 - Violence in parts of Central America also encourages children to emigrate alone
- 2014-05-05 - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2014-04-28 - Transparency in everything, because people must have confidence
- 2014-03-24 - Salvadorans commemorate the assassination of Mgr. Romero, in view of his beatification
- 2014-03-18 - Elections 2014: the Church asks the newly-elected President for an "attitude of dialogue"
- 2014-01-09 - Child abuse by parents or their guardians continue
- 2013-10-01 - Indigenous peoples continue to remain "invisible"
- 2013-08-12 - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress