AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress
La Tecla (Agenzia Fides) - The Cuban Cardinal Jaime Ortega, Special Envoy of Pope Francis at the V National Eucharistic Congress in El Salvador, asked the canonization of Mgr. Oscar Romero.
"We ask the Lord the honor of the altars for him (Mgr. Romero)", said the Archbishop of Havana in his homily during the celebration held at a sports complex in Santa Tecla (near the capital San Salvador) in the presence of thousands of faithful.
The Eucharist celebrated on Sunday, August 11, was not only the closure of the V National Eucharistic Congress, but also the closure of the Centenary of the Archdiocese of San Salvador, and of the Dioceses of Santa Ana and San Miguel.
According to the note sent to Fides, the celebration saw the presence of the Archbishop of Tegucigalpa, Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez, the local bishops and other Central American countries; dozens of priests and seminarians, and thousands of lay faithful expressed joy and enthusiasm when they heard the name of Mgr. Romero. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/08/2013)
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Romero: a guiding light for sustainable development and social justice in Central America
- 2015-09-21 - Mgr. Escobar Alas denounces: "The new tax will in particular hit low-income families"
- 2015-09-09 - "Problems are not solved with demonstrations, but with good will" said Mgr. Escobar
- 2015-08-17 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Crowds of faithful gather to commemorate the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero
- 2015-08-10 - 16 murders a day, the church launches an appeal to stop violence
- 2015-08-10 - The Holy Father's concern for the violence in El Salvador
- 2015-08-01 - No negotiating with gangs in the plan for National Security
- 2015-06-27 - Mgr. Romero Romero is recognized as "Son Meritísimo of El Salvador"
- 2015-06-03 - Dengue fever mainly affects school age children
- 2015-06-01 - "The numbers of murders are manipulated in order to create chaos", denounces Mgr. Rosa Chavez