AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress
La Tecla (Agenzia Fides) - The Cuban Cardinal Jaime Ortega, Special Envoy of Pope Francis at the V National Eucharistic Congress in El Salvador, asked the canonization of Mgr. Oscar Romero.
"We ask the Lord the honor of the altars for him (Mgr. Romero)", said the Archbishop of Havana in his homily during the celebration held at a sports complex in Santa Tecla (near the capital San Salvador) in the presence of thousands of faithful.
The Eucharist celebrated on Sunday, August 11, was not only the closure of the V National Eucharistic Congress, but also the closure of the Centenary of the Archdiocese of San Salvador, and of the Dioceses of Santa Ana and San Miguel.
According to the note sent to Fides, the celebration saw the presence of the Archbishop of Tegucigalpa, Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez, the local bishops and other Central American countries; dozens of priests and seminarians, and thousands of lay faithful expressed joy and enthusiasm when they heard the name of Mgr. Romero. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/08/2013)
- 2015-04-21 - Poverty exacerbates the living conditions of HIV-positive children
- 2015-03-24 - "Young people want to know more about Romero"
- 2015-03-12 - "The saint of all El Salvador" - beatification of Mgr. Romero on 23 May
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected
- 2014-10-07 - The Church welcomes the initiative of the Council of National Security