AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Everyone has to do their part in the peace process", Mgr. Rosa Chavez invites everyone to stop the violence in the country
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in El Salvador has denounced last week’s escalation of violence and murder, which generated controversy and criticism in public opinion on the so-called "gang truce".
A note sent to Fides reported that the auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, Msg. Gregorio Rosa Chavez, read a statement at the end of Sunday Mass in the Metropolitan Cathedral, where he deplored the murderous violence that killed mostly children and young people. According to data collected by Fides, 61 people were killed in the first days of July.
"It is the State, which must ensure our safety as citizens, but unfortunately this perception is not felt in the community. Credibility and sustainability are two important conditions to ensure that the population is able to believe in the truce of gangs. As we have said since the beginning, the peace process is fragile and we are currently in a period of crisis" said the bishop. "The problem is serious and the solution is that everyone has to do their part. Different formulas have been tried, but we are at a point of uncertainty and confusion about the situation of violence in which one lives", said the Auxiliary Bishop.
According to a recent report by the police at least a dozen recent homicides are attributable to gangs. In March 2012, the two main gangs that act in the Country, the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) and the Barrio 18, declared a truce by which the murders daily decreased from 14 to 5 (see Fides 28/03/2012 ). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/07/2013)
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
- 2014-07-03 - 1,512 suspected cases of chikungunya in addition to 5,698 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2014-05-20 - Violence in parts of Central America also encourages children to emigrate alone
- 2014-05-05 - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2014-04-28 - Transparency in everything, because people must have confidence
- 2014-03-24 - Salvadorans commemorate the assassination of Mgr. Romero, in view of his beatification
- 2014-03-18 - Elections 2014: the Church asks the newly-elected President for an "attitude of dialogue"
- 2014-01-09 - Child abuse by parents or their guardians continue
- 2013-10-01 - Indigenous peoples continue to remain "invisible"
- 2013-08-12 - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress