AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Everyone has to do their part in the peace process", Mgr. Rosa Chavez invites everyone to stop the violence in the country
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in El Salvador has denounced last week’s escalation of violence and murder, which generated controversy and criticism in public opinion on the so-called "gang truce".
A note sent to Fides reported that the auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, Msg. Gregorio Rosa Chavez, read a statement at the end of Sunday Mass in the Metropolitan Cathedral, where he deplored the murderous violence that killed mostly children and young people. According to data collected by Fides, 61 people were killed in the first days of July.
"It is the State, which must ensure our safety as citizens, but unfortunately this perception is not felt in the community. Credibility and sustainability are two important conditions to ensure that the population is able to believe in the truce of gangs. As we have said since the beginning, the peace process is fragile and we are currently in a period of crisis" said the bishop. "The problem is serious and the solution is that everyone has to do their part. Different formulas have been tried, but we are at a point of uncertainty and confusion about the situation of violence in which one lives", said the Auxiliary Bishop.
According to a recent report by the police at least a dozen recent homicides are attributable to gangs. In March 2012, the two main gangs that act in the Country, the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) and the Barrio 18, declared a truce by which the murders daily decreased from 14 to 5 (see Fides 28/03/2012 ). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/07/2013)
- 2015-04-29 - Beatification of Mgr. Romero: 9 heads of state have already confirmed their participation
- 2015-04-21 - Poverty exacerbates the living conditions of HIV-positive children
- 2015-03-24 - "Young people want to know more about Romero"
- 2015-03-12 - "The saint of all El Salvador" - beatification of Mgr. Romero on 23 May
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected