ASIA/TAIWAN - PARISH ARCHIVES GET ORGANISED WITH COMPUTERS: CHURCH KEEPS UP WITH THE TIMES PUTTING MODERN TECHNOLOGY AT SERVICE OF THE APOSTOLATE
Taipei (Fides Service) – Every parish in every diocese in Taiwan will soon have a computer to improve communication within the local Church, be more effective in the field of social communications, update parish archives and help the Church keep up with the times. These were the reasons given by the Catholic Bishops of Taiwan in a recent statement encouraging the use of computer technology throughout the diocese. The Bishops propose a system Intranet database with baptisms, confirmations and marriages records available on line from any point of the network. This will make the work and life of the dioceses and parishes more functional.
The project was welcomed with enthusiasm by the younger priests and religious who are already accustomed to using computers, but the older priests say it will be difficult to get used to these new means of communications. With this in mind the Bishops have organised courses for parish priests and religious to help them learn computer techniques.
It should be said that the dioceses in Taiwan already have their web sites and that computers are used a lot in the apostolate and parish activities. For some years now in fact the Bishops have stressed the advantages of this modern means and in collaboration with other Christian Churches and the government they supported projects to provide also rural communities with computers. Despite the difficulties encounter in some mountain areas the local Church is promoting with conviction pastoral ministry via the Internet. Taipei archdiocese already has an efficient communications network via e-mail with which it informs in real time about diocesan and parish events and initiatives. Now the Bishops hope to extend this model to the other dioceses to cover the entire church territory. PA (Fides Service 29/9/2003 EM lines 34 Words: 365)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished