ASIA/IRAQ - FATHER NIZAR IN IRAQ SAYS FIVE MONTHS AFTER THE “END “ OF THE WAR, THE SITUATION IS UNBEARABLE
Baghdad (Fides Service) – Five months have passed since the fall of Saddam Hussein and his regime and the Iraqi people who hoped for a better life than the one they left behind, are disappointed” Iraqi Catholic priest Father Nizar Semaan of Ninive diocese tells Fides Service. “We hoped the initial joy would last but today chaos reigns and hopes and expectations are dwindling. Iraq is ruled by chaos” says Father Nizar who gives a list of the troubles in this Middle east country.
1. Bandits rob from rich and poor;
2. Thieves sack shops and buildings in broad daylight ;
3. Thousands of families still have no electricity water, telephone;
4. Many hospitals lack everything
5. Girls aged 13 to 18 are kidnapped and taken to other countries where they are forced to prostitute themselves
6. Chaos effects the economy of families
7. Deep division exists in society even among members of the same ethnic group and followers of the same religion;
8. Justice is not guaranteed and acts of revenge against former regime officials and members of the Baath Party continue
9. Nights in Baghdad are hell, the only sound you hear is that of firearms
10. People are terrified of being in the wrong place and the wrong time”
This situation increases despair and betrays the hopes and aspirations for a democracy of peace and justice. Father Nizar concludes with a call to the international community: “We want the international community to be informed about the situation described here. We want the United Nations and all people of good will to make every effort to re-establish order in Iraq before it is too late and the situation is out of all control.” LM (Fides Service 8/9/2003 EM lines 30 Words: 331)
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament