EUROPE/ITALY - COMBONI MISSIONARIES START GENERAL CHAPTER TODAY: NEW PATHS OF MISSION FOR THIRD MILLENNIUM
Rome (Fides Service) - The 16th General Chapter of the Comboni Missionaries opens today September 1st to reflect on “The Comboni mission at the beginning of the third millennium”. Father Juan Gonzalez Nunez, head of the Chapter preparatory commission, told Fides Service: “Today, when the concept and practice of mission ad gentes are undergoing major changes, we feel the need to reflect on our understanding of mission ad gentes and to identify the fields of our mission, taking into consideration the priorities of our Institute, because our numbers are limited we cannot cover every field.”
Founded in 1867 by Blessed Daniel Comboni (1831-1881) who will be canonised on 5 October, the Comboni missionaries of the Heart of Jesus (MCCI) are today in all 1,823 working on four continents: Africa 793; Asia 28; Latin America 443; Europe and North America 559. They are engaged in many different areas of mission: first evangelisation, city outskirts, formation of pastoral workers, promotion of native people, vocation animation, not to mention a strong presence in the Media. The month long Chapter is attended by 83 members as follows: 28 chapter members by right (general council members, provincial superiors) 42 members elected by the provinces )33 priests and 9 brothers), 11 observers (who do not vote), and 2 secretaries. “The theme of the Chapter was chosen during the inter-chapter assembly in 2000. The working paper for our Chapter is based on answers to a questionnaire sent out to all our members ” said Father Nunez. (Fides Service 1/9/2003 EM lines 20 Words: 291)
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul