AFRICA/TANZANIA - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
Dar es Salaam (Agenzia Fides) - "You have a moral duty to prepare a new Constitution. We cannot go back to the old Constitution of 1977 because one risks to generate tensions and endanger peace" say the Catholic Bishops of Tanzania in a message addressed to the Constitutional Assembly.
In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops complain that the works of the Assembly from February to April were characterized by "discord, aggression, destructiveness, lack of mutual respect, personal attacks, and use of disrespectful language. A sad sight to see in such a respectable assembly"
The new Constitution now under discussion involves the creation of a federal State with the restoration of the Federated States of Taganyka and Zanzibar.
"We need a new constitution that allows for a greater participation of the people in determining priorities and to decide how power is used in the service of all and not just the few. We need a new Constitution where the law promotes justice for all, promotes the common good and respect for the dignity of each person. A Constitution that prevents the abuse of power and corruption", the message concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/07/2014)
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery
- 2014-04-09 - "Violence against Christians derives from religious extremism but also from economic tensions", say the Bishops
- 2014-02-28 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Zanzibar police says “no religious motives behind bomb blasts”
- 2014-02-12 - Test HIV/AIDS and free antiretroviral in the Diocese of Shinyanga
- 2013-09-18 - The conditions of the priest attacked with acid remain serious. "Why is the Church attacked?" asks the Bishop
- 2013-09-16 - The priest attacked with acid in Zanzibar transferred to Dar es Salaam
- 2013-09-03 - The Country commits itself to prohibiting child labor in gold mines
- 2013-05-22 - "The Church is object of persecution but the government does not intervene"
- 2013-05-10 - "Ban on religious hate speech" interfaith commitment after the attack in Arusha