Acta of the Holy See
ASIA/INDIA - Resignation of the Bishop of Muzaffarpur and appointment of successor
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - On July 11, 2014, the Holy Father accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the Diocese of Muzaffarpur (India), by His Exc. Mgr. John Baptist Thakur, in accordance with can. 401 § 1 of the Code of Canon Law and appointed Fr. Cajetan Francis Osta, judicial vicar of Muzaffarpur, president of the Bijhan Diocesan Priests, and priest of the Cathedral of Muzaffarpur, as Bishop of the diocese of Muzaffarpur.
The Bishop-elect was born on July 30, 1961 in the city of Kathara-Bokaro, diocese of Hazaribag. He completed his high school studies at the Khrist Raja School (Bettiah) in 1980, then entered the minor Seminary of Muzaffarpur. From 1981 to 1984 he attended courses in Philosophy at the Papal Seminary (Pune). He completed his theological studies at St. Albert's College (Ranchi) in 1992. He was ordained a priest on May 9, 1992 and incardinated in the Diocese of Muzaffarpur.
Since his ordination he has served in a number of pastoral and academic roles: 1992-1994: Parish assistant in Bettiah (Muzaffarpur); 1994-1996: Studies for a Master's degree in Canon Law at St. Peter's Pontifical Institute (Bangalore); 1996-1997: Co-Priest in Bettiah (Muzaffarpur); 1997-1998: Rector of the Minor Seminary (Muzaffarpur); 1998-2001: Secretary of the Bishop of Bettiah; 2001-2004: Studies for a Master's degree in Missiology at the Sacred Heart of Shillong and Priest in Marpa; 2004-2009: Priest in Tinkomma (Muzaffarpur); 2009-2011: Priest in Barauni (Muzaffarpur); since 2007: Judicial Vicar of the Diocese of Muzaffarpur; since 2009: President of the Diocesan Priests Bijhan and Consultant; since 2011: Priest of the Cathedral of Muzaffarpur. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 12/07/2014)
Acta of the Holy See
- 2013-01-28 - Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey
- 2013-01-21 - Resignation of the Bishop of Mouila and appointment of Successor
- 2013-01-18 - Appointment of the Bishop of Thiès
- 2013-01-16 - Resignation of the Bishop of Bukoba and appointment of successor and Apostolic Administrator of Singida
- 2013-01-02 - Erection of the new dioceses of Gboko and Katsina-Ala and appointment of the first Bishops
- 2013-01-02 - Appointment of Coadjutor Archbishop of Singapore
- 2013-01-02 - Resignation of the Bishop of Udaipur and appointment of successor
- 2012-12-28 - Appointment of Coadjutor of Bùi Chu
- 2012-12-21 - Resignation of the Archbishop of Suva and appointment of Successor
- 2012-12-10 - Appointment of the Archbishop of Keewatin-Le Pas