ASIA/NEPAL - The new Apostolic Vicar walks "in the light of the Word of God"
Kathmandu (Agenzia Fides) - On June 29, the feast of Saints Peter and Paul, the episcopal ordination of Mgr. Paul Simick, former pastor of the Cathedral of Darjeeling, appointed by the Pope as new Apostolic Vicar of Nepal (see Fides 25/04/2014), will be celebrated.
As reported to Fides Agency by the local Church, the Ordination will be held in the auditorium of St. Mary School in the town of Jawalakhel, in Kathmandu.
A massive participation of Catholics in Nepal is expected. The new Bishop chose "Lucerna pedibus meis Verbum tuum", as his episcopal motto and intends to walk the streets of Nepal enlightened by the Word of God.
Mgr. Simick made his first visit to the seat of the episcopate in Kathmandu about a month ago, where he stayed for five days. He was welcomed by representatives of the Church, by religious and laity at the airport in Kathmandu.
During his stay he visited several religious houses, parishes and communities in the Kathmandu Valley. As Fides learns, he was received and welcomed with joy by priests, religious and lay people in different places and parishes. The Bishop asked everyone for prayers to help him in his pastoral ministry in Nepal.
In May, several Catholic communities in Nepal, prayed to the Virgin to protect and defend the new Apostolic Vicar. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 02/06/2014)
- 2014-06-24 - 40 Christian leaders arrested for "forced conversions": religious freedom at risk
- 2014-06-02 - The new Apostolic Vicar walks "in the light of the Word of God"
- 2014-05-02 - A vigil to announce the new Bishop and pray for reconciliation
- 2014-04-16 - Great joy for 60 newly baptized during the Easter Vigil
- 2013-11-04 - Protestant Christian pastor killed while praying
- 2013-05-06 - We need to change behavioral attitudes to combat malnutrition
- 2013-03-01 - Fasting against corruption
- 2012-12-17 - Dramatic situation of malnourished children and mothers without medical assistance
- 2012-12-14 - Christians contest the census of the government
- 2012-12-12 - Pilot project to assist women who have suffered violence