AMERICA/PANAMA - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - Catholic Church representatives and other sectors of society in Panama are concerned about the tense political climate particularly in this last period of the presidential campaign, and called on the population to keep calm, recalling the importance of voting. The note sent to Fides by a local source reports that the Archbishop of Panama, His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa, in his homily on Palm Sunday celebrated in the Metropolitan Cathedral, called on all politicians who will be elected on May 4 to always put forward the common good of society and the protection of the most vulnerable. Mgr. Ulloa also reminded citizens that it is their duty to vote consciously, as it will be the responsibility of everyone to choose the best candidate.
The Episcopal Conference of Panama proposed to politicians to adhere to the Covenant of Ethics (see Fides 31/01/2013, 09/03/2013 and 10/01/2014) for mutual respect during the election campaign. The tension has grown in recent days because more than one political party has begun airing defamatory television commercials towards their opponents instead of the usual electoral propaganda, to the point that two national television channels have decided not to broadcast any electoral commercials, also because of the various violent clashes that have been carried out in the streets among supporters of opposing parties. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2014)
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
- 2014-05-22 - On a mission in the vulnerable suburbs of society: migrants, itinerant people, displaced ...
- 2014-04-30 - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2014-04-15 - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
- 2014-02-14 - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities
- 2013-10-16 - The Church ready to mediate between the government and doctors on strike