AMERICA/BOLIVIA - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
Beni (Agenzia Fides ) - On January 27, the government approved a decree declaring "national emergency" over the entire national territory, because of the floods and disasters caused by intense natural phenomena that occurred in large part of the country. Defense Minister Ruben Saavedra, has confirmed that until yesterday eight bodies of the ten people who had disappeared because of the floods that hit the area of Beni, in the province of José Ballivián, have been found. The bodies found are those of six civilians and two soldiers, therefore there are still two soldiers missing.
The note sent to Fides Agency by Caritas Boliviana reports that the heavy rain during the weekend caused the flooding of some rivers in different regions of the country and more than 6,000 homeless families.
The mayor of Rurrenabaque, Yerko Nunez, expressed his concern to the local press with regards to the prospects for the region, deploring the loss of human lives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-08-05 - National holiday: the Church hopes for unity and peace, in view of the forthcoming elections
- 2014-08-04 - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"