AMERICA/BOLIVIA - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
Beni (Agenzia Fides ) - On January 27, the government approved a decree declaring "national emergency" over the entire national territory, because of the floods and disasters caused by intense natural phenomena that occurred in large part of the country. Defense Minister Ruben Saavedra, has confirmed that until yesterday eight bodies of the ten people who had disappeared because of the floods that hit the area of Beni, in the province of José Ballivián, have been found. The bodies found are those of six civilians and two soldiers, therefore there are still two soldiers missing.
The note sent to Fides Agency by Caritas Boliviana reports that the heavy rain during the weekend caused the flooding of some rivers in different regions of the country and more than 6,000 homeless families.
The mayor of Rurrenabaque, Yerko Nunez, expressed his concern to the local press with regards to the prospects for the region, deploring the loss of human lives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis