AMERICA/BOLIVIA - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
Beni (Agenzia Fides ) - On January 27, the government approved a decree declaring "national emergency" over the entire national territory, because of the floods and disasters caused by intense natural phenomena that occurred in large part of the country. Defense Minister Ruben Saavedra, has confirmed that until yesterday eight bodies of the ten people who had disappeared because of the floods that hit the area of Beni, in the province of José Ballivián, have been found. The bodies found are those of six civilians and two soldiers, therefore there are still two soldiers missing.
The note sent to Fides Agency by Caritas Boliviana reports that the heavy rain during the weekend caused the flooding of some rivers in different regions of the country and more than 6,000 homeless families.
The mayor of Rurrenabaque, Yerko Nunez, expressed his concern to the local press with regards to the prospects for the region, deploring the loss of human lives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying
- 2014-02-28 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Flood stricken native peoples in Beni destitute and starving
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Classrooms under water, 10 toilets and no water for more than 1000 pupils
- 2014-01-28 - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
- 2014-01-22 - The Andean Countries together for the XIII Regional Meeting of the Youth Ministry
- 2013-12-12 - Cardinal Terrazas urges to "combat violence, not with words, but with actions"
- 2013-12-03 - "We cannot live in fear, we must take the path of peace", says the Archbishop of Santa Cruz