AMERICA/BOLIVIA - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
Beni (Agenzia Fides ) - On January 27, the government approved a decree declaring "national emergency" over the entire national territory, because of the floods and disasters caused by intense natural phenomena that occurred in large part of the country. Defense Minister Ruben Saavedra, has confirmed that until yesterday eight bodies of the ten people who had disappeared because of the floods that hit the area of Beni, in the province of José Ballivián, have been found. The bodies found are those of six civilians and two soldiers, therefore there are still two soldiers missing.
The note sent to Fides Agency by Caritas Boliviana reports that the heavy rain during the weekend caused the flooding of some rivers in different regions of the country and more than 6,000 homeless families.
The mayor of Rurrenabaque, Yerko Nunez, expressed his concern to the local press with regards to the prospects for the region, deploring the loss of human lives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2015-02-24 - Campaign to help children in Tipnis suffering from malnutrition and poverty
- 2015-02-19 - On the way to Fifth American Mission Congress (CAM 5-COMLA 10)
- 2015-01-23 - The phenomenon of children abandoned in the streets and violence increases
- 2015-01-05 - "Open your eyes and ears": warning of the church for the election campaign
- 2014-11-18 - Towards CAM 5: Bolivia presents a preliminary work plan
- 2014-11-17 - A project to spread Afro culture among children of Yungas communities
- 2014-11-12 - The Eucharist is necessary for fraternal communion and mission
- 2014-11-11 - The law on education must be applied without discrimination
- 2014-11-07 - Education, communication and drug trafficking: the Bishops prepare three pastoral Letters
- 2014-10-29 - Solidarity and concrete evangelization: meeting of diocesan Directors of the Pontifical Mission Societies