VATICAN - The Year of Faith ends in the sign of the mission
Vatican City ( Agenzia Fides) - The Holy Father closed on Sunday, November 24 , Solemnity of Christ the King, the Year of Faith, which was inaugurated by Pope Benedict XVI on 11 October 2012 on the fiftieth anniversary of the 'opening of the Second Vatican Council, with specific references to the mission and the universality of the Church. First of all, the exposure of the relics of the Apostle Peter, who concluded his preaching with martyrdom, placed near the altar during Mass, then the collection of donations for the people of the Philippines affected by the recent typhoon Haiyan. In his homily, the Holy Father then greeted with particular affection the Patriarchs and Major Archbishops of the Eastern Catholic Churches present, and pointed out that: "the exchange of peace which I will share with them, is above all a sign of the appreciation of the Bishop of Rome for these communities, which have confessed the name of Christ with exemplary faithfulness , often at a high price".
At the end of the Mass, the Pope delivered his first Apostolic Exhortation , aptly titled "Evangelii gaudium", to 36 representatives of God's people from 18 different countries. As Archbishop Rino Fisichella, President of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization had pointed out before, "believing also means participating with others the joy of Christ. The Pope’s Exhortation, therefore, becomes a mission that is entrusted to all the baptized in order to become an evangelist".
Before reciting the Angelus, Pope Francis recalled: "On this day, our gratitude goes to the missionaries who, over the centuries, have proclaimed the Gospel and spread the seed of faith in many parts of the world; among them the Blessed Junipero Serra, Spanish Franciscan missionary". He then invited to pray the Angelus: "With this prayer we invoke the protection of Mary, especially for our brothers and sisters who are persecuted because of their faith, and they are many". (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/11/2013)
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"
- 2015-04-09 - Cardinal Filoni: Iraqi families all expect to be able to return to their homes, and we are ready to help them start over
- 2015-04-08 - Easter 2015: "Our brothers and sisters are persecuted, exiled, killed and beheaded simply because they are Christians, they are our martyrs of today"
- 2015-03-30 - The Pope: "We think of our brothers and sisters who are persecuted because they are Christians, the martyrs of our own time"
- 2015-03-27 - Cardinal Filoni returns to Iraq to express the closeness and affection of the Pope to displaced families
- 2015-03-16 - VATICAN – Pope Francis: "Our brothers' and sisters' blood is shed only because they are Christians"
- 2015-02-10 - VATICAN – World Day of the Sick: the Church runs 115 352 health care and social assistance institutes in the world
- 2015-02-04 - On February 8: "Shine a light against human trafficking"
- 2015-01-26 - Cardinal Filoni celebrates the 50th anniversary of the diocese of Xuan Loc, "may families and parishes become God’s families"
- 2015-01-23 - Cardinal Filoni at the Shrine of La Vang entrusts the work of evangelization to the Virgin