ASIA - The nations of Central Asia: repatriate compatriots who fight in Syria
Almaty ( Agenzia Fides) - Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan, three of the major nations of Central Asia, are studying ways and solutions to repatriate compatriots fighting in Syria and to block the flow of Islamist and jihadist guerrillas to pollute the Syrian civil conflict. As Fides learns, the civil and military authorities of the three countries have expressed concern about a well established phenomenon: the presence of compatriots who are on Syrian territory to fight alongside the insurgents. These fighters are members of jihadi groups and terrorists, bandits in the states of Central Asia. The authorities of the region are studying urgent measures to stop the flow, acting also at a religious level: "It is illegal for Muslims to be involved in a war against other Muslims", say some Muslim religious leaders in Kazakhstan
In Kyrgyzstan, the authorities have confirmed the presence of more than 100 young kirgisi in Syria, reached there through Turkey. The extremists lure impoverished young people by offering them material assistance, persuading them to attend military training camps, indoctrinating and then sending them to the front.
According to official estimates, it is estimated that at least 190 young Tajiks are fighting in Syria. The Tajik authorities have involved relatives, activists, security agencies and religious leaders to try to bring them home, where they will attend a rehabilitation course.
Even in Kazakhstan, state officials have taken note of the presence of compatriots in Syria, presumably over 150. That is why they have asked for help to mosques and non-governmental organizations, in order to communicate with the population and discourage the practice of fighting the "jihad" in Syria. The Kazakh National Security Committee (KNB) has released an official statement saying that it is working hard to bring back the Kazakhs home. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2015-10-07 - Resignation of the Bishop of Kontum and appointment of successor
- 2015-10-07 - Appointment of the Bishop of Vinh Long
- 2015-09-28 - Resignation of the Bishop of Kaga-Bandoro and appointment of successor
- 2015-09-16 - Cardinal Filoni at the tomb of Mother Teresa, "a model of love for God and for the poor"
- 2015-09-15 - Cardinal Filoni in India, "Calcutta has become synonymous with mercy thanks to Mother Teresa"
- 2015-09-04 - Appointment of the Rector of the "St. Albert's College" Seminary in Ranchi
- 2015-09-01 - Appointment of the Rector of the "St. Francis Xavier" Philosophical Seminary in Agra
- 2015-08-31 - Appointment of Rector of the regional "Holy Trinity" Major Seminary in Jalandhar
- 2015-08-28 - Appointment of the Apostolic Administrator of Papeete
- 2015-08-28 - Appointment of the Coadjutor Archbishop of Khartoum