ASIA - The nations of Central Asia: repatriate compatriots who fight in Syria
Almaty ( Agenzia Fides) - Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan, three of the major nations of Central Asia, are studying ways and solutions to repatriate compatriots fighting in Syria and to block the flow of Islamist and jihadist guerrillas to pollute the Syrian civil conflict. As Fides learns, the civil and military authorities of the three countries have expressed concern about a well established phenomenon: the presence of compatriots who are on Syrian territory to fight alongside the insurgents. These fighters are members of jihadi groups and terrorists, bandits in the states of Central Asia. The authorities of the region are studying urgent measures to stop the flow, acting also at a religious level: "It is illegal for Muslims to be involved in a war against other Muslims", say some Muslim religious leaders in Kazakhstan
In Kyrgyzstan, the authorities have confirmed the presence of more than 100 young kirgisi in Syria, reached there through Turkey. The extremists lure impoverished young people by offering them material assistance, persuading them to attend military training camps, indoctrinating and then sending them to the front.
According to official estimates, it is estimated that at least 190 young Tajiks are fighting in Syria. The Tajik authorities have involved relatives, activists, security agencies and religious leaders to try to bring them home, where they will attend a rehabilitation course.
Even in Kazakhstan, state officials have taken note of the presence of compatriots in Syria, presumably over 150. That is why they have asked for help to mosques and non-governmental organizations, in order to communicate with the population and discourage the practice of fighting the "jihad" in Syria. The Kazakh National Security Committee (KNB) has released an official statement saying that it is working hard to bring back the Kazakhs home. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2015-07-22 - National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2015-07-20 - Elevation to the episcopal dignity of Apostolic Administrator of Makeni
- 2015-07-20 - Appointment of the Auxiliary of Kenema
- 2015-07-20 - Appointment of the Bishop of Jhabua
- 2015-07-16 - Appointment of the Rector of the inter-diocesan philosophical Seminary in Bhopal
- 2015-07-14 - Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Seoul
- 2015-07-14 - Resignation of the Bishop of Ho and appointment of successor
- 2015-07-10 - Appointment of Coadjutor of the Apostolic Vicariate of Tripoli
- 2015-07-09 - Appointment of the Auxiliary Bishop of Kuching
- 2015-06-23 - Resignation of the Apostolic Vicar of Puerto Maldonado, appointment of successor