AMERICA/CUBA - School Education for disabled children
Havana (Agenzia Fides) - In Cuba there are 350 special schools where almost 39,000 children study. Other 70 000 with different types of disabilities attend regular centers. Educating children with disabilities is the goal of the special Solidarity school with Panamá in Havana. However, the effort of the government of the Caribbean island to keep this type of education and reduce to a minimum the possible inconvenience of disabled children, has been threatened by the economic, financial and commercial situation imposed by the United States to Cuba for over 50 years. To stop this, the school is not equipped with all the necessary equipment for the use of computers, means of transport adapted for children who are unable to walk and more efficient teaching methods are lacking. Solidaridad school with Panamá was opened in 1989 as part of a project that included two other similar facilities in the provinces of Villa Clara, in the center of the Country, and Santiago de Cuba, in the east, but they have not been completed due to the U.S. embargo. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/10/2013)
- 2015-09-22 - "Mission houses": places of community life and strength of the Church in Cuba
- 2015-09-12 - Amnesty for 3522 prisoners: the Bishops express their satisfaction with "this act of mercy"
- 2015-09-09 - Feast of Our Lady of Charity, Patroness of Cuba, in the view of the Pope’s visit
- 2015-08-21 - The Cuban government "appreciates the role of the Church", said Mgr. Hernández
- 2015-08-13 - Pope Francis in Cuba special government webpage and Divine Mercy logo
- 2015-07-02 - Food sovereignty and other initiatives resume power thanks to CELAM
- 2015-06-19 - Catholic radio through Internet
- 2015-06-02 - Pastoral Plan for the Church in Cuba: "a dynamic, open and missionary communion"
- 2015-04-24 - The Pope's visit will support the Cuban Church in its attention to the cause of peace and the common good
- 2015-04-24 - Secular Franciscans in Cuba: more and more involved in parishes