AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Mgr. Scarpellini appointed Bishop of El Alto
El Alto (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Fernando Bascopé, Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of El Alto (Bolivia), in a note sent to Fides thanks God for the gift of a new bishop for the diocese: His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Scarpellini renewed his commitment to work together in this mission that the Lord has entrusted to him. Mgr. Bascopé also informs that the inauguration of the new Bishop of El Alto will take place on August 31 in the Cathedral of Collpani.
The Diocese of El Alto was established on June 25, 1994 and covers an area of 23 thousand sq. km. His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Scarpellini was born on January 8, 1954 in Verdellino (Italy), he was ordained on June 17, 1978 for the Diocese of Bergamo (Italy), in January 1988 he was sent as a "Fidei donum" missionary in Bolivia and carried out his priestly service in the Archdiocese of La Paz. He was appointed National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia in 2004, a position he continues to carry out to this day, and Coordinator of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Latin America. He was elected Auxiliary Bishop of El Alto on July 15, 2010, he is currently Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Bolivia. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying