AMERICA/PANAMA - "Defender who does not defend", scandal in the country, the Church's intervention
Panama City (Agenzia Fides) - The Commission for Justice and Peace of the Archdiocese of Panama issued a statement on the charges brought against the "Defensoria del Pueblo" (Institution which should collect the allegations of violation of the rights of the population, also from the State) related to the expenditure of almost half a million dollars to redesign the website of the organism and for expert advice.
A note sent to Fides, stresses that the Commission of Justice and Peace of the Archdiocese has asked the authorities quick and transparent investigation of this case, and, if investigations reveal irregularities, to impose exemplary sanctions against those who are responsible for fraudulent acts and omissions.
The figure of the "Defensoria del Pueblo", is an important figure in the civil life of the national community, not only in Panama but also in other Latin American countries. There, where, in a region or in a remote village, the population does not find a channel to communicate a problem that affects public education, health care, defense of human rights, the Defensoria should intervene to bring the voice of the people to the authorities and to the entire national community. So ethics, transparency and social commitment of members of this institution are crucial, in order to present with a minimum of coherence requests made on behalf of the population. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/07/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - Summit of the Americas: the Vatican Secretary of State will be present, for the first time
- 2015-02-23 - “We must work for the poor”: Cardinal Lacunza says on the feast of Cristo de Atalaya
- 2014-12-19 - Even Cuba will attend the Summit of the Americas: a dream come true
- 2014-12-16 - Last round of by-elections, the local Church sends observers to polling stations
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
- 2014-05-22 - On a mission in the vulnerable suburbs of society: migrants, itinerant people, displaced ...
- 2014-04-30 - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2014-04-15 - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
- 2014-02-14 - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent