AMERICA/PANAMA - "Defender who does not defend", scandal in the country, the Church's intervention
Panama City (Agenzia Fides) - The Commission for Justice and Peace of the Archdiocese of Panama issued a statement on the charges brought against the "Defensoria del Pueblo" (Institution which should collect the allegations of violation of the rights of the population, also from the State) related to the expenditure of almost half a million dollars to redesign the website of the organism and for expert advice.
A note sent to Fides, stresses that the Commission of Justice and Peace of the Archdiocese has asked the authorities quick and transparent investigation of this case, and, if investigations reveal irregularities, to impose exemplary sanctions against those who are responsible for fraudulent acts and omissions.
The figure of the "Defensoria del Pueblo", is an important figure in the civil life of the national community, not only in Panama but also in other Latin American countries. There, where, in a region or in a remote village, the population does not find a channel to communicate a problem that affects public education, health care, defense of human rights, the Defensoria should intervene to bring the voice of the people to the authorities and to the entire national community. So ethics, transparency and social commitment of members of this institution are crucial, in order to present with a minimum of coherence requests made on behalf of the population. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/07/2013)
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/PANAMA - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/PANAMA - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Church ready to mediate between the government and doctors on strike
- 2013-10-10 AMERICA/PANAMA – Doctors on strike stop the country, the mediation of the Church is requested
- 2013-09-17 AMERICA/PANAMA - The deaths of poor children are 5 times higher in Latin America than in the rest of the world
- 2013-07-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Defender who does not defend", scandal in the country, the Church's intervention
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact