AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Let us defend our water": Mgr. Escobar’s appeal
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of San Salvador, Mgr. José Luis Escobar, suggested yesterday, in his usual press conference on Sunday, that an appeal should be addressed to international organizations to counter the threat concerning the Salvadoran waters on behalf of a gold mine in Guatemala.
There are fears that the mine of Cerro Blanco in Jutiapa (Guatemala) near the border with El Salvador, could contaminate lake Güija and the River Lempa, the largest in the Country. The Salvadoran Environmentalist Organizations have been stressing this problem for a long time.
The note sent to Fides reports that Mgr. Escobar launched an appeal so that the government and Salvadoran MPs take action to permanently solve the problem, although he acknowledged that dialogue has already been started.
Mgr. Escobar pointed out that this is not just a problem in Guatemala as "we are concerned because we just drink that water," ..
"An entire nation suffers the consequences simply because there are people who want to get economic benefit. This is not possible in the age in which we live, it is a legal and social aberration that we cannot afford" . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/06/2013)
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected
- 2014-10-07 - The Church welcomes the initiative of the Council of National Security
- 2014-09-23 - Dengue and chikungunya: the most affected age group ranges from 5 to 19
- 2014-09-11 - Contribution of the Church for a monument to reconciliation, which inspires to seek peace
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children