AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Let us defend our water": Mgr. Escobar’s appeal
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of San Salvador, Mgr. José Luis Escobar, suggested yesterday, in his usual press conference on Sunday, that an appeal should be addressed to international organizations to counter the threat concerning the Salvadoran waters on behalf of a gold mine in Guatemala.
There are fears that the mine of Cerro Blanco in Jutiapa (Guatemala) near the border with El Salvador, could contaminate lake Güija and the River Lempa, the largest in the Country. The Salvadoran Environmentalist Organizations have been stressing this problem for a long time.
The note sent to Fides reports that Mgr. Escobar launched an appeal so that the government and Salvadoran MPs take action to permanently solve the problem, although he acknowledged that dialogue has already been started.
Mgr. Escobar pointed out that this is not just a problem in Guatemala as "we are concerned because we just drink that water," ..
"An entire nation suffers the consequences simply because there are people who want to get economic benefit. This is not possible in the age in which we live, it is a legal and social aberration that we cannot afford" . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/06/2013)
- 2015-08-17 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Crowds of faithful gather to commemorate the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero
- 2015-08-10 - 16 murders a day, the church launches an appeal to stop violence
- 2015-08-10 - The Holy Father's concern for the violence in El Salvador
- 2015-08-01 - No negotiating with gangs in the plan for National Security
- 2015-06-27 - Mgr. Romero Romero is recognized as "Son Meritísimo of El Salvador"
- 2015-06-03 - Dengue fever mainly affects school age children
- 2015-06-01 - "The numbers of murders are manipulated in order to create chaos", denounces Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2015-05-25 - Archbishop Romero beatified: "symbol of peace, harmony and brotherhood"
- 2015-05-19 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Preparation for the beatification of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-04-29 - Beatification of Mgr. Romero: 9 heads of state have already confirmed their participation