AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday: granted non-working day
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - For the second consecutive year, a government decree gives Cubans a festive day in Holy Week after decades due to tensions with the Catholic Church, the Havana government had canceled religious holidays from the offiacial calendar. This year, a government decree states that the Cubans will have a free day on the occasion of Good Friday as it did last year, in response to a request of the Holy See to the authorities of the island. The decision comes after an improvement in relations between Havana and the Vatican, thanks to the visits to Cuba by Pope John Paul II in 1998, and Pope Benedict XVI in 2012.
A note published on March 18 by the official newspaper of the Communist Party of Cuba, Granma, said that "it was decided by the heads of the Country to approve a break from work on Friday, March 29, 2013." The note does not explain the reason for this decision.
After the visit of Pope John Paul II Christmas as a religious holiday was restored, and last year with Benedict XVI’s visit "in an extraordinary way" a day off on Good Friday had been granted. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 AMERICA/CUBA - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/CUBA - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
- 2012-11-14 AMERICA/CUBA - A "sheet" that managed to arrive where the Church did not arrive...for 50 years
- 2012-11-06 AMERICA/CUBA - "Hurricane Sandy hits Cuba: houses and churches destroyed, lack of food, electricity and telephone line, but nobody talks about it": dramatic testimony from Santiago de Cuba
- 2012-04-03 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday as a public holiday and a Cardinal Ortega’s message broadcast on national television
- 2012-03-26 AMERICA/CUBA - Cuban Catholics are ready to welcome Pope Benedict, "Pilgrim of Love"
- 2012-03-22 AMERICA/CUBA - "The expectation that I hear in all the Christian communities for the arrival of Benedict XVI is the same as 14 years ago, for John Paul II’s visit," says Fr. Raul Rodriguez