AFRICA/TANZANIA -The priest’s health condition, who was injured at Christmas on the island of Zanzibar, is improving
Dar Es Salaam (Agenzia Fides) - Fr. Ambrose Mkenda’s health condition is improving, the Catholic priest wounded by unknown gunmen on Christmas Day, on the island of Zanzibar.
According to local Church sources contacted by Fides Agency, Fr. Mkenda after celebrating Mass in Mpendae was returning by car to his parish in Tomondo, when he realized he was being followed by two men on a motorcycle. When he arrived at the parish as he was getting out of the car, Fr. Mkenda was hit by two gunshot wounds to the cheek and back. The criminals then went to the rectory, turning the place upside down. After the initial emergency care in a hospital on the island, the priest was transported to an orthopedic facility in Dar Es Salaam where he was operated for the extraction of bullets. The President of Tanzania, Jakaya Kikwete, visited the priest. According to Fides sources, Fr. Mkeda was the victim of an act of common crime and not an action by extremist elements. In recent months there were sectarian tensions that resulted in the ransacking of some churches of Christian denominations. (see Fides 26/10/2012). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/01/2013)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery