EUROPE/SPAIN - Right to education denied to 61 million boys and girls who do not attend school
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - In the world 61 million children do not attend school, 31 million live in Africa and 53% are girls. These statistics were published by the Spanish Entreculturas, on the occasion of the International Day of Human Rights to be held on December 10. In September, the organization had launched an initiative called the "Silla Roja de la NO vuelta al cole". We are talking about a chair, placed in the classrooms of many schools, which represents and recalls children who do not go to school. On a world map drawn on the floor, with 61 red chairs (1 per million), these 61 million boys and girls who do not have the educational opportunities as their peers will be represented. The drastic reduction of Official Development Aid is having a negative impact on the most vulnerable: schools will not be built, teachers will not be formed, children and especially girls will not be able to attend school. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2012)
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"
- 2015-03-02 - Not always employment is the way out of social exclusion
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"