EUROPE/SPAIN - Right to education denied to 61 million boys and girls who do not attend school
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - In the world 61 million children do not attend school, 31 million live in Africa and 53% are girls. These statistics were published by the Spanish Entreculturas, on the occasion of the International Day of Human Rights to be held on December 10. In September, the organization had launched an initiative called the "Silla Roja de la NO vuelta al cole". We are talking about a chair, placed in the classrooms of many schools, which represents and recalls children who do not go to school. On a world map drawn on the floor, with 61 red chairs (1 per million), these 61 million boys and girls who do not have the educational opportunities as their peers will be represented. The drastic reduction of Official Development Aid is having a negative impact on the most vulnerable: schools will not be built, teachers will not be formed, children and especially girls will not be able to attend school. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2012)
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"
- 2015-01-09 - Bishops appeal to the government: listen to immigrants before expelling them
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Fund raising Christmas markets in aid of HIV positive and abused children in Zimbabwe
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Missionaries victims of Ebola: we remember our missionaries, what they do and for whom they work
- 2014-10-31 - Alarm tuberculosis: outdated policies will not be able to stop the peak of TB drug-resistant strains
- 2014-10-31 - Caritas Spain receives an award "for the defense of the rights of the people"
- 2014-10-23 - Every year 100,000 Christians die because of religious persecution
- 2014-10-23 - Concerned about "our" problems, while thousands of people die every day
- 2014-10-17 - While 805 million people suffer from hunger, 30% of food is wasted