EUROPE/SPAIN - Right to education denied to 61 million boys and girls who do not attend school
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - In the world 61 million children do not attend school, 31 million live in Africa and 53% are girls. These statistics were published by the Spanish Entreculturas, on the occasion of the International Day of Human Rights to be held on December 10. In September, the organization had launched an initiative called the "Silla Roja de la NO vuelta al cole". We are talking about a chair, placed in the classrooms of many schools, which represents and recalls children who do not go to school. On a world map drawn on the floor, with 61 red chairs (1 per million), these 61 million boys and girls who do not have the educational opportunities as their peers will be represented. The drastic reduction of Official Development Aid is having a negative impact on the most vulnerable: schools will not be built, teachers will not be formed, children and especially girls will not be able to attend school. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2012)
- 2015-09-23 - International Day against human trafficking
- 2015-07-23 - Trafficking of human persons, "flourishing business on the increase”
- 2015-07-17 - Priest stabbed to death on the doorstep
- 2015-07-07 - Cardinal Filoni in Burgos: "Can we say that the people of God today are missionary people?"
- 2015-05-21 - Hunger is not inevitable: 350 thousand children in the world against child malnutrition
- 2015-05-21 - Support for an alternative model for the regional economy developed by Caritas
- 2015-05-13 - Minerals, cause of conflicts in the world: NGOs ask the EU for "a strong law"
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014