AMERICA/PANAMA - The 500th anniversary of the first diocese: Cardinal Ouellet meets with the President of Panama; Santa Maria La Antigua’s story on the web
Panama City (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Panama, Ricardo Martinelli, received yesterday, 29 November, Cardinal Marc Ouellet, Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops and President of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America, who is visiting Panama to participate in the Plenary Assembly of the Bishops' Secretariat of Central America and as special Envoy of Pope Benedict XVI at the opening of the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the creation of the first diocese in the American continent, Santa Maria La Antigua (see Fides 13/09/2012; 28/11/2012).
During the meeting, the President expressed his satisfaction for Cardinal Ouellet’s visit, and according to information from the local press, he also spoke of the everyone’s great desire to have Pope Benedict XVI in Panama next year, to celebrate the closing of the Jubilee Year. The note sent to Fides Agency also speaks of the full support expressed by the President for the Catholic Church and the important role it plays within the Panamanian society.
On September 9, 2013 the concluding celebration of the five hundredth anniversary of the Diocese of Santa Maria La Antigua is expected.
During this year, the Church has organized various religious and cultural activities, addressed to civil society, with the support of state and private institutions. One of the first initiaves regards the publication of a Special Dossier that tells the story, the logo of the celebration, the anthem, prayer and the people involved in these 500 years of evangelization of the first diocese in America. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/11/2012)
- 2015-10-01 - Mgr. Aguilar: "The government must stop gambling because it impoverishes families"
- 2015-09-07 - Mgr. Ulloa encourages inmates: "Imprisonment is not the same as exclusion"
- 2015-07-07 - Plenary Assembly of Bishops: defense of marriage, family and creation, reconciliation, justice and corruption
- 2015-06-30 - Cardinal Lacunza: "despite scandals and corruption, we have to believe in justice"
- 2015-03-24 - Summit of the Americas: the Vatican Secretary of State will be present, for the first time
- 2015-02-23 - “We must work for the poor”: Cardinal Lacunza says on the feast of Cristo de Atalaya
- 2014-12-19 - Even Cuba will attend the Summit of the Americas: a dream come true
- 2014-12-16 - Last round of by-elections, the local Church sends observers to polling stations
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops