AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children
Luanda (Agenzia Fides) - In Luanda, Angola, there are many children who sleep in the streets, in deserted houses or in parks, inhale gasoline to try to cope with hunger and to give themselves courage to survive on the streets. Thanks to a new initiative of the Salesian missionaries, for some of these young children a new life begins.
We are talking about the St. Kizito home, a reception center that functions as a day and night center. Children can wash themselves, eat, play and sleep. At the moment there are 600 children and young people, and every week more than 250 adolescents go to the center. In Angola there are thousands of children who abandon their families or who are orphaned and end up on the streets.
"Open your arms so that no one takes a step back" is the motto of this new center. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2012)
- 2013-03-21 AFRICA/ANGOLA - The Bishops criticize the words of the leader of UNITA
- 2013-01-26 AFRICA/ANGOLA - 2013 State budget: social spending increases but those for the defense are still remain very high
- 2012-11-12 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children
- 2012-11-08 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Drought alarm: nearly 2 million people at risk of hunger, of whom 500,000 are children
- 2012-09-20 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children
- 2012-09-03 AFRICA/ANGOLA - The outgoing President dos Santos towards the re-election
- 2012-08-30 AFRICA/ANGOLA - General election: "No to abstention," say the Bishops, the Church participates with its observers
- 2012-07-13 AFRICA/ANGOLA - New inauguration of the Cathedral of Lwena, a sign of rebirth and hope
- 2012-06-26 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Illiteracy rate favors poverty in rural areas
- 2012-05-16 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A request from the Bishops of Angola for a greater attention to the poor in a very rich country