AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children
Luanda (Agenzia Fides) - A reception center for street children was recently inaugurated in Luanda, Angola. The house, which runs as a center both during the day and night is dedicated to St. Kizito, a Ugandan boy who was killed at the age of 14. It is a cozy, colorful and clean place, as pointed out with pride by the young children who live there in a statement released by Ans. In the large courtyard there is running water, toilets and a well-equipped kitchen.
There are currently 20 children aged between 10 to 15 who in small steps face the difficult transition from street life to the choice of a new path, education and re-appropriation of their dignity. It is a project of international cooperation in which Salesians, VIS volunteers and public institutions work together. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2012)
- 2015-11-12 - "Cleaning" operation for Independence Day
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops: "Reconciliation and national unity is a task that never ends"
- 2015-10-26 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Bishops put reconciliation at the centre of celebrations to mark 40 years of independence
- 2015-09-02 - Fighting illegal financial flows to find resources for the continent's development
- 2015-03-24 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Angola, a nation of contradictions
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Archbishop of Luanda appointed
- 2014-02-13 - The challenges of ethics for Catholic leaders
- 2013-11-28 - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
- 2013-11-19 - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
- 2013-11-07 - "Abortion is a threat to the very existence of the nation", the Bishops said