AMERICA/HAITI - Street violence increases, denunciation of the Catholic Church
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - At least 212 people were killed by gunfire in Haiti between April and June due to the escalation of urban violence that has hit the Country recently. This is what is reported in a statement sent to Fides Agency, which cites a report by the Commission "Justice and Peace." According to the report the killings in recent months is added to the increase of assaults in streets, violent robberies and rapes, for a total of 307 cases. The Commission has also reported an increase in lynchings (24 cases compared to 18 in the previous three months) and murders of police officers (11 cases).
The Haitian Catholic Church, always through the Commission for Justice and Peace, has indicated the lack of effective police investigation and the incompetence of the courts as the main obstacles in the fight against impunity in the Country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2012)
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis