ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
Chaghcharan (Agenzia Fides) - More than a hundred homes and as many acres of farmland and farm animals have been destroyed following the heavy rains that have taken place continuously for 5 days in the northern part of Afghanistan. According to the Afghan authorities and the UN, 37 deaths have been registered so far: 24 in four districts, including the provincial capital of Chaghcharan, other 13 in the district of Yaftal. Many people have also disappeared. A similar type of rain and hail is not common in this time of year. In the region, winter was the most rigorous in the last 15 years, with unusual snow storms. Experts had predicted that, with the melting snows, the rivers would grow, causing floods in the mountainous area in the north of the country during the boreal spring. In May, flooding in the province of Sari Pul, near Ghor, caused fifty deaths, mostly women and children. The weather is not improving and it is feared that the situation will worsen. The Authorities that deal with local national disasters have calculated that 135 households in Badakhshan have been completely destroyed, forcing the inhabitants to leave. According to the UN Agency for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, many of the dirt roads were severely flooded, making it difficult for the distribution of aid. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/6/2012)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency