Science and Medicine
EUROPE/SWITZERLAND – WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION STUDY ON CLIMATE CHANGE, ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH AND MEASURES TO TAKE
Geneva (Fides Service) – The World Health Organisation (OMS) with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), with the support of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), has issued a report on “Climate Change and Human Health - Risks and Responses” and the impact of these changes on public health. The report suggests security measures to help countries keep the situation under control.
According to recent data, climate change is responsible for 2.4% of the cases of diarrhoea in the world, 2% cases of malaria and about 150,000 deaths.
The 1990s were record years, in Europe last Summer about 20,000 people died of heat.
Abnormally heavy rain forms stagnant waters in which disease insects carrying malaria and dengue thrive.
With its Guidelines the report offers practical tips for governments, health environment and weather institutions in industrialised and developing countries on how to adapt to vulnerability, variability and climate change at the regional national and local level. (AP) (11/12/2003 Fides Service; lines:21 words:234)
Science and Medicine
- 2009-11-05 AFRICA/CAPE VERDE - 748 new suspected cases of dengue fever: national mobilization against mosquitoes to fight epidemic hitting the country for the first time
- 2009-11-05 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Armed conflicts, misinformation, lack of access to basic social services, drug addicts and precarious social status of women among the causes of the increase in HIV/AIDS
- 2009-11-03 AFRICA/CAPE VERDE - Capuchins start hospital for islands of Fogo and Brava
- 2009-10-31 EUROPE/AUSTRIA - Ethics knows neither social state nor age limit: Conference on medical and research ethics
- 2009-10-27 ASIA/PAKISTAN - For the first time, refugee children vaccinated against measles in Waziristan zone
- 2009-10-22 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Catholic Church launches campaign against AIDS
- 2009-10-19 ASIA/VIETNAM - Van Lang Elementary School opened thanks to Italian Association Amici di Raoul Follereau (AIFO)
- 2009-09-18 EUROPE/ITALY - September 23-24 in Rome, European medical experts meet for a presentation of the “Health and Child” project
- 2009-09-16 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Catholic Church confirms commitment to the poor and most in need
- 2009-09-14 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - At least 673 cases of acute diarrhea and/or cholera in 11 of the 34 provinces in the nation