ASIA/SRI LANKA - MISSION SUNDAY: GO RECONCILE, PROCLAIM THE LORD OF PEACE!
Colombo (Fides Service) – The theme for Mission Sunday 2003 chosen by the Pontifical Mission Societies in Sri Lanka was “Go reconcile, proclaim the Lord of Peace!” Material for the occasion, leaflets, collection boxes and posters prepared by the National PMS Office was distributed to the island’s 338 parishes. Mission Sunday theme aims at stimulating Sri Lanka’s Catholics to take an active part in rebuilding national reconciliation and harmony after 25 years of civil war in which at least 60,000 people were killed and hundreds of thousands left homeless.
Mobilisation for Mission Sunday has involved also the local press. A supplement was planned in the Catholic News Paper in the local languages. In some parishes mini Mission Bazars were organised with items brought in by local Catholics.
Father Tony Martin, PMS national Director stressed the importance of remembering the Holy Father’s own contribution to Mission. “His example is one of peace and renewal which the Church in Sri Lanka wishes to follow. Each of us has a great responsibility to build peace in our country and in the world. PA (Fides Service 18/10/2003 EM lines 17 Words: 197)
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament