AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - SCHOOL ATTENDANCE RATE RISES DESPITE DIFFICULT ECONOMIC SITUATION
Ouagadougou (Fides Service) - Burkina Faso, listed among the world’s poorest countries, is living one of the worst economic crisis in its history. In fact the number of Burkina people living below the poverty line in 1998 was 45.4%; today this number has grown to 46.4%. Nevertheless the country has succeeded in improving its school system, in particular by increasing the number of qualified teachers and the rate of school attendance has grown from 38.6% two years ago, to 47.7% today.
One factor which helped this improvement has been Satellite Schools opened in remote villages. At Satellite Schools children who have dropped out of school can resume their studies and complete the full school course. LM (Fides Service 5/9/2003 EM lines 16 Words: 157)
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure