ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - FIRST BISHOP TO VISIT N. KOREA SINCE THE WAR, IS TODAY PRESIDENT OF THE BISHOPS CONFERENCE, AND CONSULTOR OF THE CONGREGATION FOR THE EVANGELISATION OF PEOPLES
Seoul (Fides Service) – Archbishop Andrew Choi Chang-mou of Kwangju has been appointed Consultor of the Congregation for the Evangelisation of Peoples .
His appointment is a recognition of the important role of the Church in Korea for mission in Asia, and also for improving relations with North Korea and China. This is affirmed in a statement issued after the appointment by the Catholic Bishops Conference Korea CBCK. Cardinal Crescenzio Sepe, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelisation of Peoples, also sent a message of congratulations.
The Church in Korea is committed to mission ad gentes and it already has priests, religious and lay missionaries working in Cambodia, China, Russia, Japan, Mongolia, Taiwan.
Archbishop Andrew Choi Chang-mou is deeply committed to promoting reconciliation between South and North Korea. In 1998, as auxiliary of Seoul and president of the commission for national reconciliation, he was the first bishop to make a pastoral visit to North Korea since the civil war 1950-1953. Archbishop Andrew Choi Chang-mou was appointed coadjutor of Kwangju in 1999 and promoted Archbishop in 2000. He was elected President of the Bishops’ Conference in October 2002. PA (Fides Service 24/7/2003 EM lines 21 Words 214).
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament