AMERICA/HONDURAS - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
Santa Rosa de Copán (Agenzia Fides) - "The detainees are in the "suburbs" of society where they suffer from total exclusion, despair and depression", says the National Commission for Prison Pastoral Care of the Episcopal Conference of Honduras in a statement that denounces the terrible situation of detainees in the prisons of the Country.
"The conditions of prison centers hinder healthy coexistence and the rehabilitation of inmates", says the document sent to Fides, which recalls that "in 2012 the Inter-American Court of Human Rights had declared the State of Honduras responsible for the deaths of 107 prisoners for structural negligence".
The Commission for Prison Pastoral denounces that Honduran prisons are characterized by infernal "unbearable heat, humidity, lack of toilets and showers, deprivation of space for a minimum of privacy, to read, study and pray". It is an environment suitable for group fights and even riots. It is relatively easy to see prisoners infected with various diseases", exacerbated by the "total lack of medicines in small prison infirmaries".
The statement concluded with a request to authorities to change this situation despite the economic crisis that the country is experiencing. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2014)
- 2015-10-06 - Honduran Community says goodbye to candles and "dirty" electricity
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace