AMERICA/HONDURAS - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
Santa Rosa de Copán (Agenzia Fides) - "The detainees are in the "suburbs" of society where they suffer from total exclusion, despair and depression", says the National Commission for Prison Pastoral Care of the Episcopal Conference of Honduras in a statement that denounces the terrible situation of detainees in the prisons of the Country.
"The conditions of prison centers hinder healthy coexistence and the rehabilitation of inmates", says the document sent to Fides, which recalls that "in 2012 the Inter-American Court of Human Rights had declared the State of Honduras responsible for the deaths of 107 prisoners for structural negligence".
The Commission for Prison Pastoral denounces that Honduran prisons are characterized by infernal "unbearable heat, humidity, lack of toilets and showers, deprivation of space for a minimum of privacy, to read, study and pray". It is an environment suitable for group fights and even riots. It is relatively easy to see prisoners infected with various diseases", exacerbated by the "total lack of medicines in small prison infirmaries".
The statement concluded with a request to authorities to change this situation despite the economic crisis that the country is experiencing. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2014)
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms