AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "We believe that the State should take care of families, but without having control over them" said Mgr. Rolando José Álvarez Lagos, Bishop of Matagalpa (Nicaragua), in a letter sent to Fides. "It is important to know ones limits, and States should know how far they can go in protecting family values and what their limits are without having control over them because this would offend the dignity of the family", the Bishop added, who underlined that the attempt to control the family could result in "anarchy and disorder in society".
Mgr. Alvarez’ statements arrive in a moment when in Nicaragua discussions and the protests of feminist organizations on the law against violence towards women continue which gives the possibility to the bride and groom to use a state mediator to resolve their differences or issues. (See Fides 01/10/2013)
On 21 May, the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua expressed its concerns about family code, because it allows the intrusion of a third party in family matters.
"The family is the fundamental unit of society, it conveys civic , moral and Christian values to future generations, we must therefore assist the family by respecting the integrity, confidentiality and rights of parents", concluded Mgr. Alvarez. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2014)
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting