AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "The escalation of violence must stop": is the appeal launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC), Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga. The Archbishop said that the Church condemns the escalation of violence that has been going on in the country in recent weeks and reiterated that this scenario "should not mean a setback to the peace negotiations that are taking place in Havana".
The note sent to Fides by CEC reports that Mgr. Castro Quiroga has acknowledged that it is "a difficult challenge for the state" because the Armed Forces should put a limit to attacks without compromising the peace process.
In the past two weeks there have been attacks carried out by FARC and ELN against state infrastructure such as transportation, waterworks and electricity transmission towers. President Santos has launched a warning concerning the "situation which has exceeded the limit of tolerance", which could stop peace dialogue.
The national community condemns violence because the last attack (yesterday evening in Cauca) caused much damage and the death of a two-year-old child. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2014)
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace