AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "The escalation of violence must stop": is the appeal launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC), Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga. The Archbishop said that the Church condemns the escalation of violence that has been going on in the country in recent weeks and reiterated that this scenario "should not mean a setback to the peace negotiations that are taking place in Havana".
The note sent to Fides by CEC reports that Mgr. Castro Quiroga has acknowledged that it is "a difficult challenge for the state" because the Armed Forces should put a limit to attacks without compromising the peace process.
In the past two weeks there have been attacks carried out by FARC and ELN against state infrastructure such as transportation, waterworks and electricity transmission towers. President Santos has launched a warning concerning the "situation which has exceeded the limit of tolerance", which could stop peace dialogue.
The national community condemns violence because the last attack (yesterday evening in Cauca) caused much damage and the death of a two-year-old child. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2014)
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"