AMERICA/MEXICO - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Local health authorities have decided to strengthen epidemiological control for the early detection of chikungunya cases and the provision of a microsite on the Secretary of Health website with information in this regard, although in Mexico only one imported case of the virus has been recorded. Starting from August 1 the site will be available for the training of the medical staff of all the institutions of the public and private sectors on the immediate control of patients with a clinical picture associated with the disease and to ensure proper care. These initiatives were taken as a result of the agreements reached during the National Meeting on Chikungunya Virus carried out in Guadalajara, Jalisco, where the participants discussed on how to strengthen the capacity of operational staff, to harmonize the criteria and define the activities of health promotion, epidemiological control, laboratory diagnosis, medical care and control of the insect vector. Data from the Pan American Health Organization reported that on the American continent the chikungunya virus, until July 25, 2014: 5260 autochthonous cases in 29 countries, 643 imported cases and 26 deaths in 26 countries. The protective measures and personal self-medication in homes to prevent chikungunya are the same as dengue. It is very important to use physical barriers such as mosquito nets on doors and windows. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 31/07/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"