ASIA/HOLY LAND - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
Gaza (Agenzia Fides) - A bombing carried out by the Israeli army this morning near the Catholic parish in Gaza, dedicated to the Holy Family, has partially destroyed the adjacent parish school, the pastor’s office and some rooms used by the parish. This was reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Jorge Hernandez. The main target of the bombing was a home that is situated a few meters from the parish and was completely destroyed by the raid.
Yesterday afternoon, the Israeli army had begun to send SMS messages to residents of al-Zeitun - the eastern area of Gaza City which houses the Catholic and Orthodox parish - and ordered to leave the homes that would have been bombed. Many people ran away, but the evacuation was not possible for those who currently live in the church: in addition to the Argentine Jorge Hernandez, a priest of the Institute of the Incarnate Word, there are even three nuns of Mother Teresa along with 29 disabled children and 9 elderly women in their care at the parish of the Holy Family. "We had a tough night, but we are here. This war is absurd", says Fr. Hernandez. "After destroying the neighborhood of Shujayeh, now Zeitun is being targeted. Everything happens around us. The Hamas militants continue to fire rockets and then hide in the alleys. And we cannot do anything. We cannot evacuate, it is impossible with children. Their families live here. It is more dangerous to go out than stay here. We try to stay in safer places, always on the ground floor. "
"It is an absurd spiral: both sides", says Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins to Fides Agency "must listen to the voice of reason, stop the bloodshed and begin negotiations in order to address and solve problems. Otherwise all this violence will continue to repeat itself cyclically, the same causes will continue to produce the same effects". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/07/2014)
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge
- 2014-11-11 - The Heads of Churches in Jerusalem visit the Esplanade of the Mosques
- 2014-11-07 - The Heads of Churches: no one must violate the "status quo" on the Holy Sites of Jerusalem
- 2014-11-06 - Two future Saints for the Holy Land
- 2014-10-24 - Ecology, "common ground" for the three Abrahamic religions