ASIA/HOLY LAND - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
Gaza (Agenzia Fides) - A bombing carried out by the Israeli army this morning near the Catholic parish in Gaza, dedicated to the Holy Family, has partially destroyed the adjacent parish school, the pastor’s office and some rooms used by the parish. This was reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Jorge Hernandez. The main target of the bombing was a home that is situated a few meters from the parish and was completely destroyed by the raid.
Yesterday afternoon, the Israeli army had begun to send SMS messages to residents of al-Zeitun - the eastern area of Gaza City which houses the Catholic and Orthodox parish - and ordered to leave the homes that would have been bombed. Many people ran away, but the evacuation was not possible for those who currently live in the church: in addition to the Argentine Jorge Hernandez, a priest of the Institute of the Incarnate Word, there are even three nuns of Mother Teresa along with 29 disabled children and 9 elderly women in their care at the parish of the Holy Family. "We had a tough night, but we are here. This war is absurd", says Fr. Hernandez. "After destroying the neighborhood of Shujayeh, now Zeitun is being targeted. Everything happens around us. The Hamas militants continue to fire rockets and then hide in the alleys. And we cannot do anything. We cannot evacuate, it is impossible with children. Their families live here. It is more dangerous to go out than stay here. We try to stay in safer places, always on the ground floor. "
"It is an absurd spiral: both sides", says Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins to Fides Agency "must listen to the voice of reason, stop the bloodshed and begin negotiations in order to address and solve problems. Otherwise all this violence will continue to repeat itself cyclically, the same causes will continue to produce the same effects". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/07/2014)
- 2015-03-23 - Palestinian President invited to the canonization on 17 May
- 2015-03-12 - The Catholic Bishops: necessity to rebuild Gaza, support schools, help refugees and immigrants
- 2015-03-09 - Liturgy at the Holy Sepulchre to commemorate the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem
- 2015-02-12 - Palestinian Mayors: the Wall in the Cremisan Valley will suffocate the presence of Christians
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year