AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The date of the next general elections in Egypt has not yet been set. In all probability, the Egyptians will not go to the polls before next October, but already meetings and contacts to define lists and candidates who will participate in a decisive election date to delineate the political future of Egypt have started. In this context, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II, has already warned the Bishops of the Coptic Orthodox Church to refrain from any direct involvement in the election campaign in support of political parties or individual candidates. The Patriarch also made reference to the canonical measures applicable to members of the clergy who are involved directly in political activity, urging Bishops not to participate in individual meetings with candidates.
"This line", says Anba Antonios Aziz Mina, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Guizeh, "is the same as that for the presidential election: Churches encourage to participate in the vote, but do not influence the choice of the faithful on which political party and candidates to vote for". The parties that will participate in the next elections is still underway. Muslim Brotherhood has been precluded the opportunity to submit its own list. But sectors of the population linked to the Muslim Brotherhood could support the al-Nur party. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied