AFRICA/EGYPT – Kidnappings of Copts are increasing, appeal to President al-Sisi
Nag Hammadi (Agenzia Fides) - The "Coalition of the Copts, an active organization in the Egyptian governorate of Qena, has addressed an urgent appeal to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and to the Egyptian Interior Ministry to ask for action against the scourge of seizures, affecting with particular virulence the Christians of Coptic confession in the areas of Upper Egypt. In the city area of Nag Hammadi alone, there have been 72 kidnappings for ransom in the past three years, of whom three were killed after the seizure. The amounts paid for the release of the Coptic hostages in the area of Nag Hammadi have exceeded the total of 7 million Egyptian pounds, amounting to more than EUR 700 thousand (the average salary in Egypt does not exceed 70 Euros per month). (GV) (Agenzia Fides 08/07/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – KIDNAPPINGS OF COPTS ARE INCREASING, APPEAL TO PRESIDENT AL
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi
- 2015-04-27 - Muslims collect money to build a church in the Egyptian province of Al Manufiyya