AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Forum on Migration: analysis of the reality and operational proposals are being studied
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - There are approximately 800 participants at the forum, which started yesterday, July 7, to share information and ideas on the phenomenon of migration in the United States. The 2014 National Migration Conference (NMC), which takes place in Renaissance Washington and will end on July 10, is organized by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), Catholic Legal Immigration Network, (CLINIC) and by Catholic Charities USA (CCUSA).
According to the note sent to Fides by a local source, the central objective is to share the Catholic social teaching on migration; national and international information on the life and dignity of migrants, human trafficking and vulnerable groups on the move.
A specific space will be used to investigate the role of diocesan and parish leaders in order to better carry out their service, celebrations and assistance to immigrants, refugees, victims of trafficking. Proposals, strategies, methods, materials and useful tips for activities at a local level will be illustrated.
The same group of U.S. Bishops who last April 1, went to the border between Arizona and Mexico to recall the more than six thousand deaths (see Fides 02/04/2014 ), went to Washington to demand the approval of an immigration reform which for many years has been the subject of discussions between Republicans and Democrats with no significant progress. (See Fides 30/05/201). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/07/2014)
- 2015-09-07 - New health center for basic assistance and nutrition for women and children
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley