AMERICA/PERU - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
Trujillo (Agenzia Fides) - In a public letter addressed to the President of the Republic of Peru, also the Archbishop of Trujillo, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, has expressed his strong opposition to the introduction of the "National technical guide for therapeutic abortion" (see Fides 02/07/2014). In the letter, sent to Fides Agency, the Archbishop lists 16 points that demonstrate how the ministerial provision is unconstitutional, legally wrong and creates confusion.
Num. 6 reads: "In our Penal Code, abortion is a crime, but this resolution wants to cover up this crime as simply a 'voluntary termination', which is confusing and leaves the door open to present abortion as something that could be decriminalized". The Archbishop then points out (num. 7): "It is not possible that human life depends on the decision of a medical commission".
The letter reflects how many Catholics have begun to publicly express themselves (num. 13): "We all want progress and the well-being of Peru, but one cannot decide to move forward when its State is given a provision that eliminates the life of their children". From the information sent to Fides, we learn that this Ministerial provision is creating many reactions in the communities of the country. In addition to the pronouncement of the Episcopal Conference (see Fides 07/02/2014), other Christian communities have already begun to mobilize. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"