AMERICA/PERU - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
Trujillo (Agenzia Fides) - In a public letter addressed to the President of the Republic of Peru, also the Archbishop of Trujillo, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, has expressed his strong opposition to the introduction of the "National technical guide for therapeutic abortion" (see Fides 02/07/2014). In the letter, sent to Fides Agency, the Archbishop lists 16 points that demonstrate how the ministerial provision is unconstitutional, legally wrong and creates confusion.
Num. 6 reads: "In our Penal Code, abortion is a crime, but this resolution wants to cover up this crime as simply a 'voluntary termination', which is confusing and leaves the door open to present abortion as something that could be decriminalized". The Archbishop then points out (num. 7): "It is not possible that human life depends on the decision of a medical commission".
The letter reflects how many Catholics have begun to publicly express themselves (num. 13): "We all want progress and the well-being of Peru, but one cannot decide to move forward when its State is given a provision that eliminates the life of their children". From the information sent to Fides, we learn that this Ministerial provision is creating many reactions in the communities of the country. In addition to the pronouncement of the Episcopal Conference (see Fides 07/02/2014), other Christian communities have already begun to mobilize. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas