AMERICA/PERU - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
Trujillo (Agenzia Fides) - In a public letter addressed to the President of the Republic of Peru, also the Archbishop of Trujillo, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, has expressed his strong opposition to the introduction of the "National technical guide for therapeutic abortion" (see Fides 02/07/2014). In the letter, sent to Fides Agency, the Archbishop lists 16 points that demonstrate how the ministerial provision is unconstitutional, legally wrong and creates confusion.
Num. 6 reads: "In our Penal Code, abortion is a crime, but this resolution wants to cover up this crime as simply a 'voluntary termination', which is confusing and leaves the door open to present abortion as something that could be decriminalized". The Archbishop then points out (num. 7): "It is not possible that human life depends on the decision of a medical commission".
The letter reflects how many Catholics have begun to publicly express themselves (num. 13): "We all want progress and the well-being of Peru, but one cannot decide to move forward when its State is given a provision that eliminates the life of their children". From the information sent to Fides, we learn that this Ministerial provision is creating many reactions in the communities of the country. In addition to the pronouncement of the Episcopal Conference (see Fides 07/02/2014), other Christian communities have already begun to mobilize. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth