AMERICA/PERU - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
Trujillo (Agenzia Fides) - In a public letter addressed to the President of the Republic of Peru, also the Archbishop of Trujillo, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, has expressed his strong opposition to the introduction of the "National technical guide for therapeutic abortion" (see Fides 02/07/2014). In the letter, sent to Fides Agency, the Archbishop lists 16 points that demonstrate how the ministerial provision is unconstitutional, legally wrong and creates confusion.
Num. 6 reads: "In our Penal Code, abortion is a crime, but this resolution wants to cover up this crime as simply a 'voluntary termination', which is confusing and leaves the door open to present abortion as something that could be decriminalized". The Archbishop then points out (num. 7): "It is not possible that human life depends on the decision of a medical commission".
The letter reflects how many Catholics have begun to publicly express themselves (num. 13): "We all want progress and the well-being of Peru, but one cannot decide to move forward when its State is given a provision that eliminates the life of their children". From the information sent to Fides, we learn that this Ministerial provision is creating many reactions in the communities of the country. In addition to the pronouncement of the Episcopal Conference (see Fides 07/02/2014), other Christian communities have already begun to mobilize. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-12-01 - The beatification of three missionary martyrs: "Martyrs of faith and charity, witnesses of hope"
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"