AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Catholics, Jews and Muslims in Colombia have signed an historic joint declaration for peace. As FIdes learns, the agreement took place on 1 July in Bogota, in the presence of Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, Rabbi Alfredo Goldschmidt and Muslim leader Ahmad Tayel.
The note sent to Fides by the Colombian Episcopal Conference, reports that in the document, these communities commit themselves to continue to walk along the streets for peace and reconciliation in Colombia.
"Unfortunately, religious history has shown that there was rivalry among religious communities, also if one worships the same God. Pope Francis wanted to carry out in Rome a gesture of reconciliation between two enemies that today seem irreconcilable, Israel and Palestine. By imitating this gesture we gathered in a prayer service to pray for peace in the world, but especially for peace in Colombia", said Cardinal Salazar.
Rabbi Alfredo Goldschmidt, a representative of the Jewish community, said that "the prayer for peace is an opportunity to close the door of hatred and violence".
The celebration for Peace provided moments of music and prayer and, at the end, the signing and the reading of the interreligious declaration by the three communities. The vice president of the Republic, Argelino Garzón was present and wanted to emphasize the gesture as an example for Colombians and for all groups and nations where there are civil wars. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/07/2014)
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía