AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Catholics, Jews and Muslims in Colombia have signed an historic joint declaration for peace. As FIdes learns, the agreement took place on 1 July in Bogota, in the presence of Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, Rabbi Alfredo Goldschmidt and Muslim leader Ahmad Tayel.
The note sent to Fides by the Colombian Episcopal Conference, reports that in the document, these communities commit themselves to continue to walk along the streets for peace and reconciliation in Colombia.
"Unfortunately, religious history has shown that there was rivalry among religious communities, also if one worships the same God. Pope Francis wanted to carry out in Rome a gesture of reconciliation between two enemies that today seem irreconcilable, Israel and Palestine. By imitating this gesture we gathered in a prayer service to pray for peace in the world, but especially for peace in Colombia", said Cardinal Salazar.
Rabbi Alfredo Goldschmidt, a representative of the Jewish community, said that "the prayer for peace is an opportunity to close the door of hatred and violence".
The celebration for Peace provided moments of music and prayer and, at the end, the signing and the reading of the interreligious declaration by the three communities. The vice president of the Republic, Argelino Garzón was present and wanted to emphasize the gesture as an example for Colombians and for all groups and nations where there are civil wars. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/07/2014)
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus