OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - "Honesty and commitment to the common good are essential ingredients of politics. An authentic political authority in a democratic system is accountable to the people it represents. It seems that in this period democracy and a policy worthy of this name are at risk in Papua New Guinea", is what is said in a note sent to Fides Agency by His Exc. Mgr. Arnold Orowae, Bishop of Wabag and President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. "No one, not even members of parliament, is above the law. There is a law that is the same for everyone in Papua New Guinea. However, recent events, with accusations, dismissals and political maneuvering, seem to lack respect for the Constitution and the rule of law", said the Archbishop. The strong appeal of Bishops comes as the country is rocked by a political crisis, due to some incidents of corruption that involve government officials, politicians and even the Prime Minister, Peter O'Neill.
Mgr. Orowae recalls the passage of the Gospel of John: "The truth will set you free" (Jn 8:32), and notes: "As leader of the Church, we call for a peaceful and fair resolution of the current political turmoil. The values which we refer to are found not only in the Holy Bible, but have their origin in God. In God’s name, we ask the elected leaders of this nation to give priority to the rule of law, the common good and the future of our nation".
"Our people - the text continues - continue to seek safety and prosperity in a socio-political scenario that still seems complex. The instability and the application of the law in the interests of a few are bad for our whole society. If this continues, it will be harmful to the soul of the nation. One will lose the confidence of investors and the good image of our nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-05-05 - Consecrated Life has the responsibility of "waking up a world" asleep in comfortable compromises
- 2015-03-31 - Cases of multidrug resistant tuberculosis increase and there is little accessibility to healthcare
- 2015-03-27 - "WeCare!" Foundation: support to vulnerable women and marginalized children and young people
- 2015-02-03 - The Bishops: "safe and humane conditions for refugees"
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"