OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
Madang (Agenzia Fides) - "Domestic violence in the family and sexual violence are of great concern in Papua New Guinea. It is a widespread and serious problem that we have to fight and we need to work all together": this is what His Exc. Mgr. Stephen Reichert, OFM Cap, Archbishop of Madang, said during the the inauguration of the new "Family Center and against domestic violence", promoted by the government of Madang.
The Centre will also have a special local police team, dedicated to investigating cases of domestic and sexual violence.
As reported to Fides, the Archbishop said: "For too many years, families have hidden domestic violence. Horrendous crimes, such as rape and brutal and repeated beatings regarding wives and children have been covered up. Punishing the perpetrators and compensating the victims are not sufficient deterrents to stop the phenomenon".
Archbishop Reichert notes a change of culture and mindset, and a change of heart is needed. For this reason, all the components of the state, Churches, the government, civil society groups, are called to unite to say: "No more violence in the family! No more sexual violence crimes! No more violence against women! No more violence against children! Let us work together to stop violence".
The Church of Madang will work to help stop violence. First of all by sensitizing the population to the fact that these cases cannot be considered "family matters", but should be reported. Another field in which the Church will give its help is the immediate assistance to victims in order to break the vicious circle of violence at home. The new team of the police will have to investigate promptly and promote a strong and decisive action in order to create confidence in the population on the work of the police in protecting all citizens. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-03-31 - Cases of multidrug resistant tuberculosis increase and there is little accessibility to healthcare
- 2015-03-27 - "WeCare!" Foundation: support to vulnerable women and marginalized children and young people
- 2015-02-03 - The Bishops: "safe and humane conditions for refugees"
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
- 2014-05-22 - Open Letter of the Bishops to politicians: "Let us protect life together for the common good"