AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
El Paso (Agenzia Fides) - According to data released by the spokesman of the Ministry of Public Security of Texas, of the Border Police and the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, so far this year 2014 at least 160,000 unauthorized persons have been stopped in the valley of Rio Grande (Texas). This figure has already exceeded the number of 154 483 immigrants recorded throughout the previous year, according to government authorities of Texas. "More than half of these people come from countries other than Mexico and 37,000 children are alone or unaccompanied". Currently, authorities in Texas are spending $ 1.3 million every week for operations concerning the fight against crime, particularly against drug cartels that operate on the borderline. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families