AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
El Paso (Agenzia Fides) - According to data released by the spokesman of the Ministry of Public Security of Texas, of the Border Police and the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, so far this year 2014 at least 160,000 unauthorized persons have been stopped in the valley of Rio Grande (Texas). This figure has already exceeded the number of 154 483 immigrants recorded throughout the previous year, according to government authorities of Texas. "More than half of these people come from countries other than Mexico and 37,000 children are alone or unaccompanied". Currently, authorities in Texas are spending $ 1.3 million every week for operations concerning the fight against crime, particularly against drug cartels that operate on the borderline. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"