AMERICA/CHILE - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - "The joy and happiness of the people of Chile is the joy and hope of the Church. We are very pleased, and we thank God for this moment", said the spokesman of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Chile, Jaime Coiro, in a note sent to Fides released at the end of the football match in which Chile defeated Spain, allowing them to continue the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014. The Bishop of the diocese of Melipilla, His Exc. Mgr. Cristián Contreras Villarroel, described the match as "a historic evening".
Testimonies of this kind, and many others, can be read in the special section of the website of the Chilean Episcopal Conference on the World Cup. The web, prepared with a very impressive graphic, offers several Catholic aid in this regard: the prayer "for the World Cup", the video message on behalf of Pope Francis, the testimonies of the Chilean Bishops, documents on the Church and Sport and much more. The section is entitled: "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2014)
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference