AFRICA/KENYA - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "At least 9 dead and, according to news still not confirmed, some women and children were abducted last night in the assault perpetrated by a group of men in the village of Majembeni on the coast of Kenya, near the island of Lamu". This was reported to Fides Agency by His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, who states: "The news of the kidnapping of some people is to be confirmed."
"The affected area is located a few miles from Mpeketoni, the town attacked on June 15" (see Fides 16/06/2014) adds Mgr. Barbara, according to whom the assailants came from the forest.
The Bishop of Malindi claims to be very concerned because "the inhabitants of Mpeketoni have placed roadblocks to prevent the passage to the inhabitants of Lamu, because they consider them accomplices of those who attacked their city. The population of Lamu is composed of Bajuni, a mixed population of Arabs and Africans along the coast. Let us remember that in 2007-2008 political violence caused thousands of deaths. My fear is that these attacks could stoke ethnic hatred even in other parts of Kenya".
The Somali Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack against Majembeni and Mpeketoni. "The claim of the Shabaab introduces a new element", notes Mgr. Barbara. "They justify the attacks not only by for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia, but also to avenge the imams who were killed recently in Kenya. It is a claim already advanced by the Kenyan radical Islamists".
"Several radical imams were killed in mysterious circumstances on the Kenyan coast. According to public opinion, these murders have been commissioned either by the government or by local merchants, who see these preachers a threat to tourism and therefore their business", explains the Bishop. "It should be added that even some moderate imams were killed by radical Islamists. The last only 15 days ago (we are talking about Sheikh Mohamed Idris, President of the Council of Imams and Preachers of Kenya, ed.)".
"The situation is so complex and it takes very little to create disorder and destruction. We continue to pray because the conversion of the heart is not easy", concluded Mgr. Barbara. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor