AMERICA/HONDURAS - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The National Congress of Honduras gave the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula (Honduras), His Exc. Mgr. Romulo Emiliani Sánchez, C.M.F., the "Gran Cruz Placa de Oro", the highest honor bestowed by the legislature of the country.
The award was presented to the Bishop by the President of the Honduran Congress, Mauricio Oliva, in recognition of his valuable social work.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that together with Mgr. Emiliani, who represents the commitment of the Catholic Church, also Pastor Alejandro Espinosa was awarded, for his spiritual work and social awareness.
Upon receiving the award Mgr. Emiliani highlighted the example of Christ crucified, who with his sacrifice showed immense love for humanity, and asked MPs not to dirty their hands and see how the country is suffering. "I feel sorry for my country, Honduras, so this is why I will do everything I can until the day I die", said the Bishop.
With this award the Honduran society recognizes the two religious leaders their real commitment in favor of street children, of young pregnant women in an irregular situation, of prisoners, in addition to the work of reintegration into society of young people repented from gangs known as "maras" (see Fides 03/05/2013; 27/05/2013; 18/06/2013; 12/07/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms