AMERICA/HONDURAS - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The National Congress of Honduras gave the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula (Honduras), His Exc. Mgr. Romulo Emiliani Sánchez, C.M.F., the "Gran Cruz Placa de Oro", the highest honor bestowed by the legislature of the country.
The award was presented to the Bishop by the President of the Honduran Congress, Mauricio Oliva, in recognition of his valuable social work.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that together with Mgr. Emiliani, who represents the commitment of the Catholic Church, also Pastor Alejandro Espinosa was awarded, for his spiritual work and social awareness.
Upon receiving the award Mgr. Emiliani highlighted the example of Christ crucified, who with his sacrifice showed immense love for humanity, and asked MPs not to dirty their hands and see how the country is suffering. "I feel sorry for my country, Honduras, so this is why I will do everything I can until the day I die", said the Bishop.
With this award the Honduran society recognizes the two religious leaders their real commitment in favor of street children, of young pregnant women in an irregular situation, of prisoners, in addition to the work of reintegration into society of young people repented from gangs known as "maras" (see Fides 03/05/2013; 27/05/2013; 18/06/2013; 12/07/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"