AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "The reality of Buenaventura is still critical" denounces Mgr. Epalza
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - A new alarm for the high number of murders in the area of Buenaventura was launched by the Bishop of the Diocese of Buenaventura, His Exc. Mgr. Héctor Epalza Quintero, P.S.S.: between the months of May and June 7, 10 people were killed, and the bodies of two of them were dismembered. The note sent to Fides by a local source reports the Bishop’s words: "The intervention of the State at the beginning was very strong, and should not diminish. What has happened shows how evil has more creativity than law itself". On Tuesday, 3 June, a dismembered body was found in the area of Gamboa, near the train station: it was that of a 17-year-old boy reported missing.
The violence in the area has been repeatedly denounced by the Bishop himself in different circumstances (see Fides 13/09/2013). The serious situation in this port on the Pacific led to military intervention on March 21. Mgr. Epalza stressed that "this horrible evil of violence and kidnapping for murder has not yet been eradicated", and continued: "There are people who continue in their myopia and believe that nothing has happened. They must be very blind not to realize that the reality of Buenaventura is still critical and needs a lot of attention". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2014)
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez