AMERICA/BRAZIL - First American Congress: "Adolescence and Childhood at the service of the Mission"
Aparecida (Agenzia Fides) - Brazil prepares itself to host the First Missionary Childhood and Adolescence (IAM) Congress. With the theme: "IAM of America at the service of the Mission" and the slogan: "You are my friends" (Jn 15:14), the event will be held from May 23 to 25 in Aparecida (SP) and aims to bring together about 700 leaders and coordinators of IAM across America. Brazil participates with 500 members.
According to the data sent to Fides by the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Brazil, that promotes the event, of the 180 million Latin Americans under 14 years of age, about 70 million live in poverty and nearly 30 million in extreme poverty. According to data of the ILO (International Labour Organization), 168 million children manage to live because they work. Of these, 120 million work full-time and 70 million are exposed to hazardous work or considered dangerous. 72.6% of children are deprived of their rights, it is impossible for them to go to school or to health care centers. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2014)
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins