ASIA/LEBANON - Grand Mufti Qabbani proposes a new "pact" between Muslims and Christians in the Middle East
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Sheikh Mohammad Rashid Qabbani, the Grand Mufti of the Lebanese Republic and the highest authority of Sunni Islam in the Country of the cedars, elaborated a Christian-Muslim pact as a contribution to the promotion of peaceful coexistence in the nation, and submitted the content to the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Bechara Boutros Rai, during the meeting between Cardinal Rai and a delegation of the Islamic Sharia Council, which took place on Tuesday, May 13 at the Maronite patriarchal See in Bkerké.
The stated intent of the "pact" proposed by the Grand Mufti is to protect the Lebanese nation and its people, made up of Christians and Muslims. At the same time, in some statements to the Lebanese media after the meeting, Qabbani widened the horizon, saying that the attacks against Christians in the Arab world represent an "organized strategy to destroy the relations between Christians and Muslims in the region", adding that "when Christians are attacked in Lebanon, it is also a direct insult to Muslims". Quabbani’s stated intent is to submit the agreement - which takes the form of a Code of Ethics – to all the leaders of the religious communities in Lebanon, presenting it as a pioneering initiative to be gradually expanded throughout the Arab world. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions
- 2014-11-26 - For Patriarch Rai dialogue between Hezbollah and Sunni of the "Future" Movement would take Lebanon out of its crisis