ASIA/LEBANON - Grand Mufti Qabbani proposes a new "pact" between Muslims and Christians in the Middle East
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Sheikh Mohammad Rashid Qabbani, the Grand Mufti of the Lebanese Republic and the highest authority of Sunni Islam in the Country of the cedars, elaborated a Christian-Muslim pact as a contribution to the promotion of peaceful coexistence in the nation, and submitted the content to the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Bechara Boutros Rai, during the meeting between Cardinal Rai and a delegation of the Islamic Sharia Council, which took place on Tuesday, May 13 at the Maronite patriarchal See in Bkerké.
The stated intent of the "pact" proposed by the Grand Mufti is to protect the Lebanese nation and its people, made up of Christians and Muslims. At the same time, in some statements to the Lebanese media after the meeting, Qabbani widened the horizon, saying that the attacks against Christians in the Arab world represent an "organized strategy to destroy the relations between Christians and Muslims in the region", adding that "when Christians are attacked in Lebanon, it is also a direct insult to Muslims". Quabbani’s stated intent is to submit the agreement - which takes the form of a Code of Ethics – to all the leaders of the religious communities in Lebanon, presenting it as a pioneering initiative to be gradually expanded throughout the Arab world. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2014-07-28 - Patriarch Rai: The new President should not be linked to the two "blocks"
- 2014-07-10 - Patriarch Rai to Lebanese missionaries: the Arab world needs the Gospel
- 2014-07-07 - Patriarch Rai: the existence of Lebanon at risk
- 2014-06-20 - The Maronite Bishops: who boycots Parliament sessions to elect a new president places the Country at risk
- 2014-06-12 - The annual Synod of the Maronite Church has begun. Patriarch Rai: let us pray so that a new President is elected
- 2014-06-03 - Orthodox Patriarch Yohanna X announces the Conference of the Church of Antioch
- 2014-05-14 - Grand Mufti Qabbani proposes a new "pact" between Muslims and Christians in the Middle East
- 2014-05-12 - Patriarch Rai on the presidential elections: a power vacuum would erase the role of Christians
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria