ASIA/LEBANON - Grand Mufti Qabbani proposes a new "pact" between Muslims and Christians in the Middle East
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Sheikh Mohammad Rashid Qabbani, the Grand Mufti of the Lebanese Republic and the highest authority of Sunni Islam in the Country of the cedars, elaborated a Christian-Muslim pact as a contribution to the promotion of peaceful coexistence in the nation, and submitted the content to the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Bechara Boutros Rai, during the meeting between Cardinal Rai and a delegation of the Islamic Sharia Council, which took place on Tuesday, May 13 at the Maronite patriarchal See in Bkerké.
The stated intent of the "pact" proposed by the Grand Mufti is to protect the Lebanese nation and its people, made up of Christians and Muslims. At the same time, in some statements to the Lebanese media after the meeting, Qabbani widened the horizon, saying that the attacks against Christians in the Arab world represent an "organized strategy to destroy the relations between Christians and Muslims in the region", adding that "when Christians are attacked in Lebanon, it is also a direct insult to Muslims". Quabbani’s stated intent is to submit the agreement - which takes the form of a Code of Ethics – to all the leaders of the religious communities in Lebanon, presenting it as a pioneering initiative to be gradually expanded throughout the Arab world. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2015-09-10 - Lebanese crisis, a delegation of Hezbollah meets with Maronite Patriarch
- 2015-09-01 - The Heads of Churches: the protests risk being "infiltrated"
- 2015-08-31 - Islamic-Christian summit postponed, while protests against politicians continue
- 2015-08-29 - A Muslim-Christian summit on the agenda to overcome the institutional crisis
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday
- 2015-07-09 - The Maronite Patriarch: the deadlock on the election of the President is caused by outside interference
- 2015-07-06 - The Maronite Patriarch: the storm will pass, and Christians will remain in the Middle East
- 2015-06-25 - Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX dies in Lebanon
- 2015-06-17 - Prayers to the Virgin of Fatima to invoke the election of a new President
- 2015-06-16 - Maronite and Greek-Melkite Synods have begun. Patriarch Grégoire: 60% of the Lebanese think of emigrating